Ward Shaft Association
Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:
Mechanics lien and court documents between 1892-1903 filed by Oliver Lonkey and E.R. Smith (Lonkey and Smith) against the Bullion Mining Company for failure to pay for lumber and drayage. The agreement of 1903 enabled the Bullion Mining company, Julia Mining Company, Savage Mining Company and others to form the Ward Shaft Association and to use the Ward Shaft to drain water from their mines.
The Comstock Pumping Association was established in 1898 by 28 mine companies in Virginia City. Designed as a means to increase stock values, the purpose of the association was to pump water from the Comstock mines below the Sutro Tunnel level. Records of operation include daily and weekly reports (including Ward Shaft Association, 1910-1912), letters, cashbooks, financial ledgers, and a tunnel account book, 1905-1909.