Clark, Walter Van Tilburg, 1909-1971
Found in 16 Collections and/or Records:
Collection includes interviews of people who knew Walter Van Tilburg Clark when he taught school in Cazenoviua, New York as well as additional material gathered and created by Carl Heintze from 1979-1985.
Walter Van Tilburg Clark (1909-1971) was a western author, editor of the Alfred Doten diaries, lecturer at the University of Nevada, Reno, and writer-in-residence at the University of Nevada, Reno, 1962-1971. Collection contains five articles by or about Walter Van Tilburg Clark taken from newspapers, journals and books. Date range: 1950-1973
Walter Van Tilburg Clark (1909–1971) was an American novelist, short story writer, and educator. He is one of Nevada's most distinguished literary figures of the 20th century and was the first inductee into the Nevada Writers Hall of Fame in 1988. The collection includes one letter with illustrations by Walter Van Tilburg Clark sent to former student Dorothy Day in Cazenovia, New York in 1942. The two-page letter is dated March 30, with its postmarked envelope from Las Vegas, Nevada.
Jim Folger was a student of Clark's while taking a night class on creative writing at San Francisco State University. The collection contains a handwritten letter signed by Clark from Lakespur, California, dated June 11, 1962 that critiques a short story Jim Folger submitted to Walter Van Tilburg Clark.
THe collection contains 13 letters written by Walter Van Tilburg Clark, Nevada author and editor, to John Herrmann from Larkspur, California and Reno, Nevada, concerning work on a new literary magazine published by San Francisco State campus beginning in 1959 called Chrysalis Review, of which Herrmann was the founding editor, as well as various publications Clark was working on at the time the letters were written. Date range 1961-1967.
Research files for his books on Walter Van Tilburg Clark, published by University of Nevada Press. Preliminary inventory available in department.
- Authors, American -- 20th century 5
- Personal correspondence 4
- Authors, American -- Biography -- 20th century 3
- Authors, American -- Nevada -- 20th century 3
- Authors, American -- 21st century 2
- Academic freedom -- Nevada -- Reno 1
- Acting -- Technique 1
- American literature -- 20th century 1
- American literature -- Bibliography -- 20th century 1
- American poetry -- Nevada 1
- Artists -- Nevada -- 20th century 1
- Business correspondence 1
- Cheers -- Nevada 1
- College teachers -- Nevada -- Reno 1
- Excerpts 1
- Facsimiles 1
- Fiction 1
- Music -- Nevada -- Reno -- History and criticism 1
- Photographs 1
- Poetry 1
- Poets, American -- Nevada 1
- Short story -- Technique 1
- Students' songs -- Nevada 1
- Women poets, American -- Nevada 1 ∧ less