Handbook of North American Indians, Vol. 11, Great Basin Indians Editorial Materials
Scope and Contents
This collection of the Handbook of North American Indians, Volume 11, Great Basin Indians, consist of the working records of volume editor Warren d'Azevedo and associate volume editor Catherine Fowler.
The records consist of thirteen cubic feet of materials dating from 1970-1985. They have been divided into three series: administrative files, finished manuscripts, and working/draft manuscripts. There were a number of maps which accompanied the records but no photographs: they were retained by the Smithsonian Institution. Much of this material is duplicated in the archives of the Smithsonian Institution.
The first series of this collection consists of d'Azevedo's administrative files: correspondence with Smithsonian personnel, authors, and reviewers; photo copies of illustrations, and contracts with authors. Dr. d'Azevedo's original arrangement of this series has been retained.
Series 2 consists of final copies of the manuscripts used in the Handbook. A small amount of correspondence accompanies these files which are arranged by the name of the author in the order in which the final manuscripts appeared in the book.
The third series contains draft manuscripts, letters, and reviewers' comments. Frequently there are multiple copies of manuscripts by a particular author; one or more from the project's early period (1970s) and one or more from the final phase (early 1980s). The letters in each file concern the author or his/her manuscript and are most often from the authors, d'Azevedo or the Smithsonian's general editor, William C. Sturtevant. These files are arranged by the name of the author in the order in which the final manuscripts appeared in the book.
- D'Azevedo, Warren L. (Creator, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research. Materials must be used on-site; advance notice suggested. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.
The series of publications known as the Handbook of North American Indians, published by the Smithsonian Institution, was conceived by the Smithsonian's Office of Anthropology in 1965. This series of twenty volumes was to be encyclopedic, with an emphasis on bibliographic resources.
Originally the Great Basin and Plateau areas were to be treated together as Volume 10. A planning meeting for the volume was held in Reno in March, 1970, at which time the decision was made to create two volumes for the separate geographic areas. The Great Basin volume designation was changed to Volume 11. The local planning committee consisted of D'Azevedo, Catherine Fowler, Don D. Fowler, and William Jacobson Jr., all from the University of Nevada, Reno; and Jesse Jennings, University of Utah. Consultants were Sven Liljeblad, Idaho State University, Pocatello and later the University of Nevada; Julian H. Steward, University of Illinois-Urbana; and Omer C. Steward, University of Colorado-Boulder.
D'Azevedo was selected by the Smithsonian as editor of the volume; in 1984 Catherine Fowler was named as associate volume editor. The planning committee drew up a list of proposed chapters and authors who were given a set of standard series guidelines to follow. Manuscripts were reviewed many times: by selected readers/peers, occasionally by other volume authors, by the volume editor, and by the general editor. Suggestions for changes were then incorporated into the manuscripts.
The first manuscripts were received in late 1971 and continued to be completed over the next several years. Then, the Smithsonian revised its publication schedule and work on Volume 11 stopped while Volumes 1-6 were published. It was not until 1983 that work on Volume 11 proceeded once again, at which time all previous manuscripts were revised and brought up to date and additional chapters written. All manuscripts were completed by May, 1985 and forwarded to the Smithsonian for publication.
Authors include Warren L. D'Azevedo, Don D. Fowler, Peter J. Mehringer, Kimball T. Harper, Wick R. Miller, William H. Jacobsen, Jesse David Jennings, Luther Sheeleigh Cressman, B. Robert Butler, Robert G. Elston, C. Melvin Aikens, David B. Madsen, John P. Marwitt, Claude N. Warren, Robert H. Crabtree, J.M. Adavosio, Polly Schaafsma, Donald R. Tuohy, Richard Edward Hughes, James Allen Bennyhoff, Donald L. Hardesty, Lorann S.A. Pendleton, David Hurst Thomas, Robert Francis Murphy, Yolanda Murphy, Demitri Boris Shimkin, Donald G. Callaway, Joel C. Janetski, Omer Call Stewart, Isabel Truesdell Kelly, Maurice L. Zigmond, Sven Samuel Liljeblad, Carling I. Malouf, John M. Findlay, Richard O. Clemmer, Elmer R. Rusco, Mary K. Rusco, Martha C. Knack, Edward C. Johnson, John R. Alley, Joy Leland, Judith R. Shapiro, Ake Hultkrantz, Joseph G. Jorgensen, Thomas Vennum, Lawrence E. Dawson, Earl Herbert Swanson, Lewis K. Napton, Gary F. Fry, Stephen Clement Cappannari, Norma McLead, Betty C. Anderson, and Julian Haynes Steward.
13 Linear Feet (13 boxes, 1 oversize folder)
Language of Materials
Volume 11 of the Smithsonian's Handbook of North American Indians, focused on Indians of the Great Basin region of the American west, and included cultural, historical, prehistorical, and technological information about the Paiute, Washo, Shoshoni, Ute, and Bannock Indians. Editorial files include correspondence between editors and authors, meeting reports, planning committee materials, general business records, draft chapters, and final essays. Material between 1970-1985.
Arranged in the following series: 1) Administrative Files; 2) Final Manuscripts; 3) Draft Manuscripts
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Warren D'Azevedo and Catherine Fowler in March 1992.
- Adavosio, J. M. (Creator)
- Aikens, C. Melvin (Creator)
- Anderson, Betty C. (Creator)
- Anthropologists -- Correspondence
- Archaeologists -- Correspondence
- Bannock Indians
- Bennyhoff, James A. (James Allan), 1926-1993 (Creator)
- Butler, B. Robert (Creator)
- Calloway, Donald Goodwin (Creator)
- Cappannari, Stephen Clement (Creator)
- Clemmer, Richard O. (Creator)
- Crabtree, Robert H. (Creator)
- Cressman, Luther S., 1897-1994 (Creator)
- D'Azevedo, Warren L. (Creator)
- Dawson, Lawrence E. (Lawrence Edwin), 1799-1848 (Creator)
- Elston, Robert G. (Creator)
- Findlay, John M. (Creator)
- Fowler, Catherine S. (Creator)
- Fowler, Catherine S. (Creator)
- Fowler, Don D., 1936- (Creator)
- Fry, Gary F. (Creator)
- Hardesty, Donald L., 1941- (Creator)
- Harper, K. T. (Kimball T.), 1931- (Creator)
- Hughes, Richard E. (Richard Edward), 1947- (Creator)
- Hultkrantz, Åke (Creator)
- Indians of North America -- Great Basin
- Jacobsen, William H. (Creator)
- Janetski, Joel C. (Creator)
- Jennings, Jesse D. (Jesse David), 1909-1997 (Creator)
- Johnson, Edward C., 1943- (Creator)
- Jorgensen, Joseph G., 1934-2008 (Creator)
- Kelly, Isabel T. (Isabel Truesdell), 1906- (Creator)
- Knack, Martha C. (Creator)
- Leland, Joy (Creator)
- Liljeblad, Sven S. (Sven Samuel), 1899-2000 (Creator)
- Linguists -- Correspondence
- Madsen, David B. (Creator)
- Malouf, Carling I. (Carling Isaac), 1916-2007 (Creator)
- Marwitt, John P. (Creator)
- McLead, Norma (Creator)
- Mehringer, Peter J. (Creator)
- Miller, Wick R. (Creator)
- Murphy, Robert F. (Robert Francis), 1924-1990 (Creator)
- Murphy, Yolanda (Creator)
- Napton, Lewis K. (Creator)
- Paiute Indians
- Pendelton, Lorann S. A. (Creator)
- Rusco, Elmer R. (Creator)
- Rusco, Mary K. (Creator)
- Schaafsma, Polly (Creator)
- Shapiro, Judith R. (Judith Rae), 1942- (Creator)
- Shimkin, Demitri B (Demitri Boris), 1916-1992 (Creator)
- Shoshoni Indians
- Steward, Julian Haynes, 1902-1972 (Creator)
- Stewart, Omer Call, 1908-1991 (Creator)
- Swanson, Earl H., Jr. (Earl Herbert), 1927-1975 (Creator)
- Thomas, David Hurst (Creator)
- Tuohy, Donald R. (Creator)
- Ute Indians
- Vennum, Thomas (Creator)
- Warren, Claude N., 1932- (Creator)
- Washo Indians
- Zigmond, Maurice L. (Creator)
- Guide to the Editorial Materials of the Handbook of North American Indians Volume 11: Great Basin Indians
- Susan Searcy
- June 1992
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description