Edmund Smith Correspondence
Scope and Contents
These letters/journal written by the Smith brothers (Edmund, Cassius, and Joel) to their brother and sister describe their preparations for and experiences of their trip to California via Nevada. They were also accompanied by brother George Smith. Details of crossing the Humboldt Desert of Nevada and the hardships are given, as are descriptions of their mining efforts and tools in California. One sheet (2 sides) of a letter appears to be missing.
- May 12-December 22, 1850
- Smith, Edmund (Person)
Collection is open for research. Materials must be used on-site; advance notice suggested. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.
Brothers Edmund, Joel, George, and C. [Cassius] Smith traveled overland from Iowa to California in 1850.
0.4 Linear Feet (3 pages)
Language of Materials
These letters/journal written by the Smith brothers (Edmund, Cassius, and Joel) to their brother and sister describe their preparations for and experiences of their trip to California via Nevada. Material between May 12-December 22, 1850.
- Gold miners -- California -- Correspondence
- Gold mines and mining -- California
- Humboldt Desert (Nev.) -- Description and travel
- Nevada -- Description and travel
- Overland journeys to the Pacific
- Smith, C. (Casius) (Creator)
- Smith, C. (Casius) -- Correspondence
- Smith, Edmund -- Correspondence
- Smith, George -- Correspondence
- Smith, Joel -- Correspondence
- Smith, Joel (Creator)
- Smith, Edmund Correspondence
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description