Skip to main content

Best and Belcher Mining Company Records

 Collection
Identifier: NC82
The collection include letters, 1878-1880, a time book for 1907 (which also includes Hale and Norcross Mining company times for 1916); and a title abstract of 1863.

Dates

  • 1863-1916

Creator

Restrictions

Collection is open for research. Materials must be used on-site; advance notice suggested. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.

Extent

0.5 Cubic Feet (3 volumes, 2 folders)

Abstract

Records include letters, 1878-1880; a time book for 1907 (which also includes Hale and Norcross Mining Company times for 1916); a title abstract, 1863; an 1877 affadavit of work; list of company officers, 1890.

Administrative History

This mine, 540' long and part of the Middle Mines of the Comstock Lode, was staked in 1859. Situated between the Gould and Curry and Consolidated Virginia mines, work on the claim began in 1860 but halted in 1863 because of lack of profitable ore, a general depression in the area, and reluctance of stockholders to pay assessments. Work resumed in 1872 and was carried out through the Gould & Curry or Bonner shafts. In 1895 the company became part of the Brunswick Exploration Company; in 1922 it was taken over by Comstock Merger Mines.

Arrangement

The Best and Belcher Mining Company Records are organized into the following series:

Series 1: Letters

Series 2: Time Books

Series 3: Legal Records

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Received from unknown source.

Related Materials

NC176: Middle Mines Report of Operations
Title
A Guide to the Best and Belcher Mining Company Records
Status
completed
Description rules
dacs

Repository Details

Part of the University of Nevada, Reno. Special Collections Department Repository

Contact:
Mathewson-IGT Knowledge Center
1664 N. Virginia St.
Reno Nevada 89557-0322 USA
775-682-5665
775-682-5724 (Fax)