Utah Construction Company Records

Identifier: 2009-16

Scope and Contents

The Utah Construction Company Records consists of 101 individual survey books of land in Nevada from the 1880s-1940s. Much of the land surveyed includes the Wine Cup Ranch, also known as Thousands Springs, as it was located in Thousand Springs Valley. All books are photocopies obtained from the Bureau of Land Management, possibly from the Reno Office in the early 1980s. Some photocopies are of much higher quality than others and quality varies from book to book.

Approximately 25 books of the 101 in the collection date from the Corey Brothers and Company time of the company (roughly 1880-1899). The remaining 75 books are from post-incorporation and date from 1900 to the 1940s. Many of the books are undated or have approximate dates and are without titles.


  • 1881-1940


Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research. Materials must be used on-site; advance notice suggested. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.

Administrative History

Although the Utah Construction Company was not incorporated until 1900, the Corey brothers, G. L., Warren W., Charles J. and Amos B., with their family, Edmund O. and William H. Wattis, created a partnership of Corey Brothers and Company in the early 1880s that set the foundation for what was to become the Utah Construction Company. By the 1890s, most of the Corey brothers had dropped out of the company, leaving the Wattis brothers in charge. They were joined by a number of other individuals and incorporated the business on January 8, 1900 in Ogden, Utah. Thomas D. Dee was listed as the first president of the company with W. H. Wattis as vice president and James Pingree as secretary/treasurer.

Much of the Company's early work consisted of building the Southern Pacific Railroad, but the company also branched out into ranching and dam building. In addition to being one of five companies that built Hoover Dam in the 1930s they also worked on the Grand Coulee, Pineview, Hetch Hetchy, and Wanship Dams. One of the major ranches owned by the Company was the Wine Cup Ranch. Located in Thousand Springs Valley in the northern part of Nevada on the Utah border, the Wine Cup Ranch (now known as the Winecup Gamble Ranch) is very well represented in the survey books. Up until the 1940s, the Ranch was made up of nearly three million acres of land and was one of the largest ranches in the nation.

For more information on the Utah Construction Company see the Weber State University Utah Construction/Utah International Collection.

[Partially adapted from the Utah Construction Company/Bowman photograph collection Historical Note held by Utah State University. Special Collections and Archives]


2.7 Linear Feet (7 boxes)

Language of Materials



The Utah Construction Company was a construction company founded by Edmund Orson Wattis Jr., Warren L. Wattis and William. H. Wattis in 1900. The Utah Construction Company Records consist of 101 individual survey books of land in Nevada from the 1880s-1940s.


Arranged by original book number.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Donated bty Matt Gringerich on behalf of Sierra Pacific Power Company/NV Energy on November 10, 2009.



Guide to the Utah Construction Company Records
Jessica Maddox
September 2014
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the University of Nevada, Reno. Special Collections Department Repository

Mathewson-IGT Knowledge Center
1664 N. Virginia St.
Reno Nevada 89557-0322 USA
775-682-5724 (Fax)