Goldfield Development Company Records

Identifier: 2017-02

Scope and Contents

The Goldfield Development Company Records includes materials that document a small portion of company operations through stockholder information. The stockholder files include correspondence, remittance forms, and a valid share ledger. Financial information include bills and sales, account ledgers, expense vouchers, bank statements, and payroll. Of interest is one file containing a lawsuit from the Interstate Commerce Commission of the Goldfield Development Company vs. Bullfrog Goldfield Railroad Company, et al., from April 24, 1922.


  • 1920-1934


Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research. Materials must be used on-site; advance notice suggested. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.

Administrative History

Goldfield, Nevada, is most well-known for the mining boom that occurred between its settlement in 1901 and 1910 when peak production reached over $10 million dollars. Most major mining operations in Goldfield had ceased by 1920, although a number of mines continued operations into the 1940s. One such operation was the Goldfield Development Company.

Incorporated on February 13, 1919 in Nevada, the Goldfield Development Company was organized to operate the holdings of the Goldfield Consolidated Mines Company, including the mining property, a 1,000-ton mill, and a railroad in the Goldfield Mining District. Officers in 1919 were Corrin Barnes, president; A. I. D'Arcy, vice president; H. G. McMahon, secretary-treasurer; Edward Lembcke and Benjamin J. Henley, directors; and Elmer Burt, superintendent. The company purchased part of the ground and the balance taken under lease for a period of five years beginning February 1, 1919, with the privilege of subleasing any part of all of the ground. However, the lease was cancelled at the end of 1920.

During the time the lease was in force, over 30 sub-lessees were at work. From February 1, 1919 to March 1920, 4,450 tons of ore were shipped having a $75,000 gross value. In June 1919, the mill began operations and 4,800 tons were treated with an estimated net profit of $12,000. The company levied Assessments 1 and 2 in 1920 due to an inability to readily sell treasury stock. Between February 1, 1919 and March 2, 1920, disbursements were $276,901 and receipts $278,515. Of the latter $107,500 was from the sale of stock, $36,000 from loans, and $58,700 from the sale of supplies. Mill repairs cost $43,500 and mining operations were $71,800. Prior to the relinquishment of the lease, the mill ceased operations some months. Experts at the time cited low-grade ore and high costs for the failure of this first stage in the life of the company.

In October 1920, the Goldfield Development Company purchased the Gold Hill Mine for cash. Assessments 3 and 4 were levied June and December 1921 and Assessment 6 in 1934.

[Information on the company taken from: Weed, Walter Harvey. The Mines Handbook Succeeding The Copper Handbook Describing the Mining Companies of the World, Volume 15. Tuckahoe, New York: The Mines Handbook Company, 1922.]


0.6 Linear Feet (2 boxes)

Language of Materials



Goldfield Development Company, incorporated in 1919, was organized to operate the holdings of the Goldfield Consolidated Mines Company, including the mining property, a 1,000-ton mill, and a railroad in the Goldfield District Mining District. Collection includes stockholder files (correspondence, remittance forms, and a valid share ledger) and financial information (bills and sales, account ledgers, expense vouchers, bank statements, and payroll) from 1920-1934.


Materials are arranged by type and chronologically.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Received in 1989 as part of a group of papers that had previously been stored in the Goldfield Hotel.


Guide to the Goldfield Development Company Records
Jessica Maddox
February 2017
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the University of Nevada, Reno. Special Collections Department Repository

Mathewson-IGT Knowledge Center
1664 N. Virginia St.
Reno Nevada 89557-0322 USA
775-682-5724 (Fax)