Richard Sill Papers
Scope and Contents
The Richard Sill Papers primarily comprise reports, written testimonies, correspondence, annotated maps, and internal Club documents relating to Sill's decades of involvement with the Sierra Club and its Toiyabe Chapter. There is also an extensive collection of slides from Sill's personal life and outdoor activities. Series 1 and its subseries include materials from the Sierra Club, its leadership, committees, and activities. Series 2 and its subseries include materials from more general environmental activism, such as political lobbying and legislation, involvement with the Bureau of Land Management and US Forest Service, and environmental issues outside of the Great Basin area. Series 3 includes audiovisual media, including video and audio recordings, slides, and annotated maps. Series 4 includes documents related to Sill's professional and personal interests outside of environmentalism.
- Sill, Richard C. (Richard Clement), 1923-1981 (Creator, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research. Physical materials, such as those not available through UNR Libraries' Digital Collections or other portals must be used onsite; advance notice suggested. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.
21 Linear Feet (23 boxes, 1 reel, 2 oversize folders)
Language of Materials
Richard Clements Sill (1922-1981) was an assistant professor in the Physics Department at the University of Nevada, Reno, and a longtime active member of the Sierra Club, including service on the Executive Board and co-founding the Toiyabe Chapter. The collection includes correspondence, Club records, research, photographs, slides, videos, and audio materials relating to Marjorie and Richard Sill's work dealing with environmental issues and organizations, primarily with the work of the Sierra Club from the 1950s until Dr. Sill's death in 1981. A small portion of the materials are posthumous and relate more strongly to Marjorie Sill's continued efforts.
Arranged into the following series: 1) Sierra Club; 2) Environmental Activism; 3) Media; 4) Miscellaneous. Series 1, 2, and 3 are divided into further subseries.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by the Marjorie L. Sill Trust in 2017.
- Conservationists -- West (U.S.)
- Environmental impact statements -- Nevada
- Environmental protection -- Nevada
- Environmental protection -- Research -- Tahoe, Lake (Calif. and Nev.)
- Forest management -- Nevada
- Nature -- Effect of human beings on -- Sierra Nevada (Calif. and Nev.)
- Outdoor recreation -- Nevada
- Radioactive waste disposal -- Nevada -- Yucca Mountain
- Sierra Club
- Sierra Club. Toiyabe Chapter
- Sierra Nevada (Calif. and Nev.)
- Toiyabe National Forest (Nev. and Calif.)
- Toiyabe trails
- Guide to the Richard Sill Papers
- Elspeth Olson
- December 2020
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description