Woodworth Mill and Sluice Company Payment Slips
Scope and Contents
Collection contains six employee payment slips for August and September 1874 for work on company flumes and sluices signed by W. H. Armstrong. The company was listed as both the Woodworth Mill and the Woodworth Sluice Company on the slips. Noted on the back of the slips is the signature of the company accountant who paid the amount due to the workers. Of interest on some slips are notes to keep a portion of the payment for room and board.
- 1874 August-September
- Woodworth Sluice Company (Organization)
Collection is open for research. Materials must be used on-site; advance notice suggested. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.
Located on the Carson River, the Woodworth Mill was built in 1864 at a cost of $75,000. By 1869, it contained 24 stamps, 12 pans, and had a capacity of 40 tons per day. In 1871, James G. Fair and John W. Mackay of the Pacific Mill and Mining Company purchased the mill and began an overhaul under the supervision of S. Fountain. They installed a new turbine wheel of 240 horsepower along with a dozen new pans of the largest scale. In 1874, the mill started crushing 40 tons a day of Silver Hill Mine ore. The 1880 census lists 31 employees at the mill: two amalgamators, one blacksmith, one carpenter, two engineers, and 25 laborers.
The Woodworth Sluice was one of the longest sluices ever built. It was composed of 12 individual sluices side by side, each 19 inches wide. Each sluice was separated by a 1.25 inch wide piece of wood. The total length of the sluice was 1,700 feet long. It took 627 gallons of water per minute to wash the tailings material in the sluice.
[Much of the above information is taken from the following source: Webster, Daniel D. Mills Along the Carson River. Arcadia Publishing: Charleston SC, 2015]
0.41 Linear Feet (6 items)
Language of Materials
Located on the Carson River, the Woodworth Mill was built in 1864 and, by 1869, contained 24 stamps, 12 pans, and had a capacity of 40 tons per day. In 1871, James G. Fair and John W. Mackay of the Pacific Mill and Mining Company purchased the mill. The Woodworth Sluice was one of the longest sluices ever built. Collection contains employee payment slips for August and September 1874 for work on company flumes and sluices signed by W. H. Armstrong.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Purchased from Holabird Western Americana Collections, LLC in October 2017.
- Guide to the Woodworth Mill and Woodworth Sluice Companies Payment Slips
- Jessica Maddox
- October 2017
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description