Skip to main content

Brown School History, 1877-1989

 Collection
Identifier: NC1307
Collection contains an unpublished, bound history of Brown School from 1879-1989 compiled by Mary Wood Johnson.

Dates

  • 1989

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research. Materials must be used on-site; advance notice suggested. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.

Extent

0.1 Cubic Feet (1 item)

Overview

Brown School was originally constructed in 1877 on land donated by the rancher Peleg Brown 11 miles south of Reno, Nevada. Collection contains an unpublished, bound history of Brown School from 1879-1989 compiled by Mary Wood Johnson.

Historical Note

Originally located eleven miles south of Reno, Nevada at the base of Geiger Grade, Brown School sat on land donated by a rancher by the name of Peleg Brown. The schoolhouse built on that land served the local students until a new school was constructed in 1947. That three-room school, which saw additions of a basement and mobile units over the year, was used until 1989 when Washoe County School District built a third, and final, school.

Mary Wood Johnson was a teacher at the school for twenty-one years, from 1962-1983. After six years of retirement, Johnson wrote the history of Brown Elementary School.

Arrangement

Unarranged.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Removed from Special Collections manuscript collection 2008-09 (Nevada and Great Basin Miscellaneous Documents) in February 2018.

Creator

Title
Brown School History, 1877-1989
Status
for_mcd_review
Author
Jessica Maddox
Date
February 2018
Description rules
dacs

Repository Details

Part of the University of Nevada, Reno. Special Collections Department Repository

Contact:
Mathewson-IGT Knowledge Center
1664 N. Virginia St.
Reno Nevada 89557-0322 USA
775-682-5665
775-682-5724 (Fax)