Skip to main content

Hugh A. Shamberger Papers

 Collection
Identifier: NC1333
The collection contains research and notes created by Hugh Shamberger for the publication of his book series called Historic Mining Camps of Nevada. Most of the collection is comprised of photocopies of newspaper clippings from northern Nevada newspapers and photographs. Many of the photographs are reproductions obtained from the Nevada Historical Society as well as other Nevada archives, libraries, and private collections of individuals. Some of the original photographs were taken by Shamberger and his son, Allan Shamberger, in the late 1960s and early 1970s and document mining towns and ghost towns throughout the state.

Dates

  • 1867 - 1989

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research. Materials must be used on-site; advance notice suggested. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.

Extent

2.75 Linear Feet (3 boxes)

Overview

Hugh A. Shamberger (1990-1992) was an engineer for the State of Nevada from 1929 until his retirement from the Desert Research Institute in 1967. He wrote a series of book on mining history of Nevada. Collection contains research, notes, and photographs created and gathered by Hugh Shamberger for the publication of his book series called Historic Mining Camps of Nevada.

Biographical Note

Born in Kingston, Idaho on February 20, 1900, Hugh A. Shamberger graduated from Stanford University with Bachelor's of Science in Engineering. After graduation, Shamberger worked in a variety of jobs, both as a surveyor and an engineer, in California before relocating to Las Vegas, Nevada early in 1929. At that time, Shamberger began a new phase of his career working in mining and engineering in the developing community of Las Vegas. Soon after, he entered the state service, first in the State Highway Department, and then in the office of the State Engineer. While in the Office of the State Engineer, Shamberger pioneered several techniques for studying water resources of Nevada. He also wrote extensively on the mining history of Nevada, published in a series of ten monographs under the title of Historic Mining Camps of Nevada.

In 1965, Shamberger, who at the time was the president of the National Reclamation Association, moved to the University of Nevada, Reno, to become Associate Director of the Desert Research Institute and head of the Center for Water Resources Research. He retired from that position in 1967.

Shamberger died on October 13, 1992 in Reno.

Arrangement

Arranged alphabetically by location.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Donated by the Carolyn Shamberger Living Trust in July 2018.

Books in Hugh Shamberger's series Historic Mining Camps of Nevada
  • Volume 1: Story of the Water Supply for the Comstock (1972)
  • Volume 2: The Story of Rawhide (1970)
  • Volume 3: Story of Seven Troughs (1972)
  • Volume 4: Story of Rochester (1973)
  • Volume 5: Story of Fairview (1973)
  • Volume 6: Story of Wonder (1974)
  • Volume 7: Story of Weepah (1975)
  • Volume 8: Story of Silver Peak (1976)
  • Volume 9: Story of Candelaria and Its Neighbors (1978)
  • Volume 10: Story of Goldfield (1982)
Title
Guide to the Hugh A. Shamberger Papers
Status
in_progress
Author
Jessica Maddox
Date
July 2018
Description rules
dacs

Repository Details

Part of the University of Nevada, Reno. Special Collections Department Repository

Contact:
Mathewson-IGT Knowledge Center
1664 N. Virginia St.
Reno Nevada 89557-0322 USA
775-682-5665
775-682-5724 (Fax)