Dean Heller Papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains press releases from Senator Heller's legislative career. Key topics among the press releases include veterans' affairs, tax reform, public lands, and infrastructure projects. The collection also includes over one hundred press releases related to the Yucca Mountain project. In all cases, the original modification dates have been maintained.
- Heller, Dean (Creator, Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research. Materials must be used on-site; advance notice suggested. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.
Dean Arthur Heller was born to Janet MacNelly and Charles Alfred "Jack" Heller on May 10, 1960, in Castro Valley, California. Before his first birthday, his family, including his five siblings, relocated to Carson City, Nevada where he was raised. He graduated from Carson High School in 1978 and the University of Southern California with a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration in 1985. Soon after completing his degree, Heller returned home to Nevada.
Heller was first elected to the Nevada State Assembly, representing Carson City, in 1990. He served as an assemblyman until 1994 when he was elected as the Nevada Secretary of State. During his time as Secretary of State, from 1994-2007, he successfully implemented the use of an auditable paper trail for electronic voting machines, making Nevada the first state in the nation to do so. In 2005, Heller decided to run for soon-to-be-open U. S. House of Representatives seat after incumbent Jim Gibbons opted to run for Nevada Governor. Heller won the election, defeating Democrat Jill Derby by a 49 to 46 percent margin, one of the closest races since the district's creation in 1983.
From 2007-2011, Heller served as the Vice Chairman of the Congressional Western Caucus as well as on the Committee on Ways and Means. Additionally, he served on two subcommittees: Income Security and Family Support and Select Revenue Measure. On May 9, 2011, Heller was appointed by Nevada Governor Brian Sandoval to fill the vacancy left by Senator John Ensign's resignation. In 2012, Heller ran for the Senate and was elected on a 45.9 to 44.7 percent margin defeating Representative Shelley Berkley.
While in the Senate, Heller served on the following committees and subcommittees: Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs (Subcommittees: Economic Policy as Chair; Housing, Transportation and Community Development; and Financial Institutions and Consumer Protection), Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation (Subcommittees: Aviation Operations, Safety and Security; Communications, Technology, Innovation, and the Internet; Consumer Protection, Product Safety, Insurance, and Data Security; Surface Transportation and Merchant Marine Infrastructure, Safety, and Security), Committee on Finance (Subcommittees: Taxation and IRS Oversight; Health Care; and Social Security, Pensions, and Family Policy as Chair), and Committee on Veterans' Affairs.
In 2018, Heller ran for a second term in the U.S. Senate. He was challenged by Representative Jacky Rosen (Democrat) of Las Vegas for the seat. Although Heller secured President Donald Trump's endorsement, he was eventually defeated by Rosen on a 50 to 45 percent margin.
0.48 Gigabytes (3,525 objects)
Language of Materials
Dean Arthur Heller (1960- ), a Nevada Republican, served as a Nevada State Assemblyman, 1990-1994; Nevada Secretary of State, 1994-2007; two and a half terms in the U.S. House of Representatives, 2006-2011; and one term as Nevada U.S. Senator, 2012-2019. The collection contains press releases created by Heller during his term as a U.S. Senator representing Nevada.
Arranged in the following series: 1) Press Archive. Within the series, files are arranged by title.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Senator Dean Heller in January 2019.
- Nathan Gerth removed the following files: ~$ 21 JROTC Douglas.doc ~$A Passage 7 13 16.docx ~$A statement 12.14.11.doc ~$V Heller Tours Zappos 2 19 14.doc ~$V Lake Tahoe Summit 8 14 15.docx ~$YMI Heller Supports Extending Unemployment Insurance Benefits.doc ~$YMI Commerce 7 12 16.docx ~$YMI Finance 6 15 16.docx ~$YMI Heller Introduces Gas Price Relief Act 3.27.12.doc ~$YMI Heller introduces Home Act 2 9 12.doc ~$YMI Letter State of Emergency.docx ~$YMI Markup Commerce V. 2 3 16 16.docx ~$YMI Tahoe Oped 8 21 15.docx ~$dget.Child Tax Credit.3.28.doc ~$dia Plan.11.28.12.docx ~$e on Washington.12.21.09.doc ~$eller Hosts 2012 Lake Tahoe Summit 8.9.12.doc ~$hel M Chocolates adv 2 22 12.doc ~$ighborhood Pres Act intro 1.20.12.doc ~$ke Tahoe Summit a Great Success 8.13.12.doc ~$lease Template.2.doc ~$ller Cad Tax Legislation.docx ~$ller Independence Day Statement 7 4 14.docx ~$ller Introduces Bill to Help Rural Veterans Recover Travel Expenses 7 1 13.docx ~$ller Statement on Unemployment Benefits 1.6.14.doc ~$ller to Colleagues Abandon Yucca, Focus on Long-Term Strategy to Nuclear.docx ~$mmittees.511.11.doc ~$nate Passes Heller Amendment to Increase Competition for Private Flood Insurance 1.30 14.doc ~$ne Unemployment.7.19.10.doc ~$ral Press Call.10.17.11.doc ~$ral Press Call.9.21.11.doc ~$rmark Moratorium.11.9.10.doc ~$rnyn Fort Hood 11.20.13.doc ~$shoe Teachers.8.16.doc ~$t Contest.6.2.09.doc ~$tter to Finalized 385 Regs 10 13 16.docx ~$udent Loans 5.4.12.doc ~$ul Laxalt.docx ~WRL2548.tmp
- Federal aid to community development -- United States
- Groundwater -- Nevada -- Yucca Mountain
- Infrastructure (Economics) -- United States
- Nature conservation
- Politicians -- Nevada
- Press releases
- Public lands
- Radioactive waste disposal -- Nevada -- Yucca Mountain
- Tax administration and procedure -- United States
- United States. Congress. Senate
- Veterans -- Legal status, laws, etc. -- United States
- Water conservation
- Women -- United States -- Social conditions
- Heller, Dean (Person)
- Heller, Dean (Creator, Person)
- Guide to the Dean Heller Papers
- Jessica Maddox
- April 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the University of Nevada, Reno. Special Collections Department Repository
Mathewson-IGT Knowledge Center
1664 N. Virginia St.
Reno Nevada 89557-0322 USA