Crown Point Gold and Silver Mining Company Records
Scope and Contents
The Crown Point Gold and Silver Mining Company records consist of 4 volumes which cover the years 1861-1909. The volumes include Board of Directors' minutes, 1861-1874; bylaws; agreements; deeds; reports of mining operations, 1887-1894; and letters, 1875-1877.
- Crown Point Gold and Silver Mining Company (Creator, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research. Materials must be used on-site; advance notice suggested. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.
One of the richest mines of the Comstock Lode, Crown Point was staked in 1859 between the Belcher and Kentuck Mines and was 540 feet long. Superintendent John P. Jones' discovery of a silver bonanza at the 900 feet level in 1871 revived general interest in the Comstock after initial mining exhausted surface deposits. In 1886 the Belcher and Crown Point Mines combined to mill low grade ore in the upper levels of both mines. In 1915 the Yellow Jacket, Crown Point, and Belcher mines consolidated into the Jacket-Crown Point-Belcher Mines Company; in 1920 they became part of the United Comstock Mining Company.
2.042 Linear Feet (3 boxes)
Language of Materials
Crown Point Gold and Silver Mining Company was one of the richest mines of the Comsotck Lode. Collection contains records including Board of Directors' minutes, 1861-1874; by-laws; agreements; deeds; reports of mining operations, 1887-1894; and letters, 1875-1877.
Arranged into the following series: 1) Minutes, Board of Directors, Board of Trustees; 2) Reports; 3) Letters
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Acquired from an unknown source circa 1965.
- Guide to the Crown Point Gold and Silver Mining Company Records
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description