El Dorado Wood and Flume Company Records
Scope and Contents
The El Dorado Wood and Flume Company Records includes correspondence, land-related documents, financial statements covering the period 1862 to 1940. The subject of this material deals primarily with the land transactions of the company; acquisition of land; transfers of title; and leasing and selling of land. Also included in the collection is financial material including tax receipts and statements of taxable property. Of special interest are correspondence and court case documents involving a land dispute between the company and Washoe Indians in Alpine County, California.
Included in the collection are several hand drawn maps indicating the company’s holdings in California and Nevada. Early documents are original and handwritten. Later material is typed and copied.
- El Dorado Wood and Flume Company (Creator, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research. Materials must be used on-site; advance notice suggested. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.
The El Dorado Wood and Flume Company was incorporated in Nevada in 1875 with H. M. Yerington, J. W. Haynie and A. J. Ralston as trustees; H. M. Yerington was the president when the company incorporated. Its major areas of operation were in Lake Valley, El Dorado County, California and in Hope Valley, Alpine County, and California. The company also held land in Ormsby, Douglas, and Washoe counties, Nevada.
Logging and fluming wood was declared the business of the company until 1880 when its lands were denuded of timber. After that period, renting and selling company land was the primary activity. Much of the land was leased for pasturing and eventually sold, creating some of the largest ranches in the eastern valleys of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Land holdings and companies became intertwined during this period of lumbering and land acquisition in California and Nevada.
The El Dorado Wood and Flume Company absorbed the Markleeville Flume Company in 1875 and soon after acquired the properties of H. M. Yerington and J. W. Haynie who were also officers in coexistent land and lumber companies. In later years the officers and interests of the El Dorado Wood and Flume Company were closely tied to those of the Carson and Tahoe Lumber and Fluming Company. The El Dorado Wood and Flume Company was formally dissolved in 1940.
3.6 Linear Feet (4 boxes, 2 oversize folder)
Language of Materials
The El Dorado Wood and Flume Company was incorporated in Nevada in 1875 with H. M. Yerington, J. W. Haynie and A. J. Ralston as trustees; H. M. Yerington was the president when the company incorporated. Its major areas of operation were in Lake Valley, El Dorado County, California and in Hope Valley, Alpine County, and California. The company also held land in Ormsby, Douglas, and Washoe counties, Nevada. Collection contains correspondence, land related documents, financial accounts, legal documents, maps, from 1862-1940.
Arranged in the following series: 1) Correspondence; 2) Company Papers; 3) Legal Documents; 4) Deeds and Land Related Documents; 5) Financial Statements; 6) Maps
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Gordon A. Sampson in 1952; transferred via the Mackay School of Mines in 1961.
- Alpine County (Calif.)
- Carson and Tahoe Lumber and Fluming Company
- El Dorado County (Calif.)
- Haynie, J. W. (John W.)
- Land titles -- California
- Land titles -- Nevada
- Lumber trade -- California
- Lumber trade -- Nevada
- Markleeville Flume Company
- Merrill, Mary
- Ralston, A. J.
- Washo Indians
- Woodfords (Calif.)
- Yerington, Henry M.
- Guide to the El Dorado Wood and Flume Company Records
- Lenore M. Kosso
- November 1981
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description