J. B. Clinedinst Papers
Scope and Contents
Included are letters, certificates, and agreement related to Clinedinst's activities in both Virginia and Nevada organized labor matters, including the organization of the first American Federation of Labor in Virginia and the Teamsters' Union in Reno; letters praising Clinedinst's role in Virginia in the railroad strike of 1922; a copy of Reno Teamster Local #533's wage and working agreement, 1936; and Clinedinst's letter of resignation from that local because of differing philosophies with other administrators.,Photographs include group portraits of the Nevada State Federation of Labor and the Veteran's of Foreign Wars activities and members.
- Clinedinst, J. B. (Person)
Collection is open for research. Materials must be used on-site; advance notice suggested. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.
Labor union organizer in Virginia and Nevada from 1905-1930s. His wife, Lillie B. Clinedinst, was also a labor union official in Nevada. In Virginia, Clinedinst was an assistant commissioner of labor, factory inspector, and inspector in the Child Labor Tax Division of the U.S. Treasury. He helped organize the American Federation of Labor in Virginia in 1905. The Clinedinsts moved to Reno in 1922, where he was a member of the State Labor Commission, an official of the Teamsters' Union, and a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars.
0.4 Linear Feet (55 items)
Language of Materials
J. B. Clinedinst was a labor union organizer in Virginia and Nevada. Included are letters, certificates, and agreement related to Clinedinst's activities in both Virginia and Nevada organized labor matters (1905-1936).
Photographs have been transferred to the Special Collections Department photo archive as collection number UNRS-P1997-05
- American Federation of Labor
- Clinedinst, J. B.
- International Brotherhood of Teamsters, Chauffeurs, Stablemen, and Helpers of America. Local 533 (Reno, Nev.)
- Labor unions -- History -- Nevada
- Labor unions -- History -- Virginia
- Railroad Strike, Va., 1922
- Strikes and lockouts -- Railroads -- Virginia -- 20th century
- Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States. Dept. of Nevada
- Guide to the J. B. Clinedinst Papers
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script