United Comstock Pumping Association Records
The United Comstock Pumping Association Records is made up of correspondence in letterpress copybooks, 1898-1911; daily and weekly reports, 1898-1918; cash books, 1898-1920; a tunnel account book, 1905-1909; and general ledgers, 1898-1907. The daily and weekly reports include information on the Ward Shaft Association, 1910-1912.
- United Comstock Pumping Association (Creator, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research. Materials must be used on-site; advance notice suggested. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.
10 Linear Feet (9 boxes)
The Comstock Pumping Association was established in 1898 by 28 mine companies in Virginia City. Designed as a means to increase stock values, the purpose of the association was to pump water from the Comstock mines below the Sutro Tunnel level. Records of operation include daily and weekly reports (including Ward Shaft Association, 1910-1912), letters, cashbooks, financial ledgers, and a tunnel account book, 1905-1909.
The Comstock Pumping Association was established in 1898 by 28 mine companies in Virginia City. Designed as a means to increase stock values, the purpose of the association was to pump water from the Comstock mines below the Sutro Tunnel level. Finds of rich ore pockets enabled pumping to continue despite the great costs. In 1910 the Association combined with the Ward Shaft Association to become the United Comstock Pumping Association. Pumping was discontinued in 1922.
Arranged into the following series: 1) Reports; 2) Operations; 3) Accounts; 4) Miscellaneous
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by the Comstock Pumping Company circa 1929. Transferred to the Special Collections Department in the 1960s.
- Guide to the United Comstock Pumping Association Records
- Robert Armstrong
- March 1966
- Description rules