Identifier: AC 0483
The Mackay Centennial 1908-2008 Collection consists of materials distributed at the Mackay Gala 2008: The Party of the Century, which was held at the Grand Sierra Resort and Casino in Reno, Nevada, on April 26, 2008. A copy of "Mackay Memories 1908-2008: The First 100 Years of the Mackay School of Mines" by Holly Walton-Buchanan and James V. Taranik was transferred to the DeLaMare Library. Included are a program for the event, trivia questions, and a tote bag contributed by the Nevada Mining Association. Of particular interest is a commemorative medallion minted at the Nevada State Museum, Division of Museums and History (the former United States Branch Mint in Carson City, Nevada), from refined silver from the Rochester silver and gold mine in Pershing County, Nevada.
- Mackay School of Earth Sciences and Engineering (Creator, Organization)
Collection is open for research. Materials must be used on-site; advance notice suggested. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.
0.25 Cubic Feet
This collection consists of materials distributed at the Mackay Gala 2008: The Party of the Century, held at the Grand Sierra Resort and Casino in Reno, Nevada, on April 26, 2008.
Administrative History Note
The University of Nevada's first school of mines was created in 1888. Clarence Mackay, the son of John W. Mackay (1831-1902), provided funding for the Mackay School of Mines building, which was dedicated in 1908. The Mackay School of Mines was a unit of the College of Engineering until 1951, when it became a separate school. The Mackay School of Earth Sciences and Engineering was developed during a campus-wide restructuring in 2003 and became a unit of the new College of Science.
A copy of Mackay Memories 1908-2008: The First 100 Years of the Mackay School of Mines by Holly Walton-Buchanon and James V. Taranik was transferred to the DeLaMare Library.
- A Guide to the Mackay Centennial
- Betty Glass
- March 3, 2011
- Description rules