University of Nevada School of Medicine Records

 Collection
Identifier: AC 0488

Scope and Contents

The University of Nevada School of Medicine Records consist of miscellaneous reports, correspondence, brochures and newspaper clippings about the organization, operation, and development of the school since it became a four-year degree-granting institution.

Dates

  • 1979-2014

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research. Materials must be used on-site; advance notice suggested. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.

Administrative History

Interest in establishing a medical school in Nevada existed as early as 1938, with the United States facing a shortage of physicians. In 1967, a pledge of ongoing funding from industrialist Howard Hughes resulted in the Nevada Legislature's authorization of acquiring federal and private foundation funding. In 1969, the University of Nevada School of Medical Sciences was established as a two-year program, with academic instruction beginning in 1971. Medical students who completed the two years of basic science training then had to transfer to four-year medical schools outside of Nevada to complete their Doctor of Medicine degrees.

In April 1977, the Nevada Legislature authorized the conversion of the program to a four-year, degree-granting school. The name was changed to the University of Nevada School of Medicine. The first group of students began their third year of clinical studies in the Fall of 1978, graduating as the first School of Medicine Class in 1980.

Extent

1.82 Linear Feet (3 boxes)

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

Interest in establishing a medical school in Nevada existed as early as 1938, with the United States facing a shortage of physicians. In 1967, a pledge of ongoing funding from industrialist Howard Hughes resulted in the Nevada Legislature's authorization of acquiring federal and private foundation funding. The collection consists of miscellaneous reports, correspondence, brochures and newspaper clippings about the organization, operation, and development of the school since it became a four-year degree-granting institution.

Arrangement

Arranged into the following series: 1) History of the School of Medicine; 2) Center for Molecular Medicine and the Whittemore Peterson Institute for Neuro-Immune Disease; 3) School of Medicine Financial Reports; 4) Correspondence; 5) Recruitment, Event and Program Flyers; 6) Newspaper Clippings; 7) General Faculty Meeting and Curriculum Committee Minutes

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Transferred from the School of Medicine and the Savitt Medical Library between 2008-2011.

Related Materials

Cudek, Phyllis and Anton Sohn. Better Medicine: the History of the University of Nevada School of Medicine. Medical Library and University Archives: R747.U68355 C83 2003

School of Medicine Records: NUB 35/01/04 - NUB 35/01/12; NUB 35/03/01 - NUB 35/15/03; NUB 35/15/04 - NUB 35/15/08; NUB 35/17 - NUB 36/01; AC 0346; AC 0352

Separated Materials

Slides transferred to the University Archives photo archives as collection number UNRA-P3442.

Title
Guide to the University of Nevada School of Medicine Records
Status
Completed
Author
Betty Glass
Date
June 2011
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the University of Nevada, Reno. University Archives Repository

Contact:
Mathewson-IGT Knowledge Center
1664 N. Virginia St.
University of Nevada, Reno
Reno NV 89557-0322 USA
775-682-5665
775-682-5724 (Fax)