Skip to main content

University of Nevada, Reno, General University Extension records

 Collection
Identifier: AC 0502
The University of Nevada General University Extension records consist of annual reports, class schedules, conference and workshop reports, two creative writing anthologies: "A Fallon Fascicle" (English 305, Spring 1965) and "Beating Wings" (1967-68), newsletters (1970-74), and other program publications from 1951-1977. Of particular interest is a self evaluation study from 1975, two anthologies by creative writing students, the Statewide Workshop on the Aging Conference Report (1968), proceedings from the "Parents are Important: A Family Living Institute" held in Winnemucca, Nevada, in November 1960, the proceedings of the Seventh Annual Agricultural Chemicals Conference held at the University in January 1970; and material for "The University and the Environment" workshop held at the University in 1971. In 1974, the General University Extension Division was contracted by the Personnel Department of the State of Nevada to formulate a master plan for training state and/or non-profit agency employees in the areas of community development. The resulting "Assessment of Training Needs: Community Development Training Plan," funded by an HUD Title VIII grant, is in the collection.

Dates

  • 1951-1977

Creator

Restrictions

Collection is open for research. Materials must be used on-site; advance notice suggested. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.

Extent

1.5 Cubic Feet

Abstract

The University of Nevada General University Extension records consist of annual reports, class schedules, conference and workshop reports, two creative writing anthologies: "A Fallon Fascicle" (English 305, Spring 1965) and "Beating Wings" (1967-68), newsletters (1970-74), and other program publications from 1951-1977. Of particular interest is a self evaluation study from 1975, two anthologies by creative writing students, the Statewide Workshop on the Aging Conference Report (1968), proceedings from the "Parents are Important: A Family Living Institute" held in Winnemucca, Nevada, in November 1960, the proceedings of the Seventh Annual Agricultural Chemicals Conference held at the University in January 1970; and material for "The University and the Environment" workshop held at the University in 1971. In 1974, the General University Extension Division was contracted by the Personnel Department of the State of Nevada to formulate a master plan for training state and/or non-profit agency employees in the areas of community development. The resulting "Assessment of Training Needs: Community Development Training Plan," funded by an HUD Title VIII grant, is in the collection.

Administrative History

In early 1950, the University of Nevada's Correspondence Study Department was separated from the Office of Admissions and Records and transferred to the School of Education. In 1952, a separate academic department, comprised of the Summer School, Correspondence Study and Extension, was overseen by Dr. Harold N. Brown, the Director of the School of Education and Director of Special Services. The Correspondence Study Department, also referred to as the Correspondence Division, existed from 1945-1960 and maintained its own bookstore.

The University established the Office of Statewide Development Program of Higher Education (Statewide Services) on April 1, 1954, and appointed Dr. William R. Wood as its Dean. Statewide Services was also referred to as General University Extension. It included Continuing Education Services, the Correspondence Study Program, Evening Class in Reno and Las Vegas, an extension lecture series, Materials of Instruction Central Service, campus assemblies and ceremonies, conferences and institutes, lectures, the proposed Nevada School of Nursing, and the Southern Regional Division of the University, which later became Nevada Southern. Statewide Services included all off-campus educational activities of the University with the exception of those provided by the Agricultural Extension Service. In 1955, three extension centers were established: Elko, Ely and Las Vegas. Courses were offered in Winnemucca in 1956. Also in 1956, the University of Nevada was admitted to membership in the National University Extension Association. In 1957, Dr. J. Patrick Kelly was appointed Director of Evening and Off-Campus Programs and Director of Audio-Visual Communications. In 1959, Lloyd A. Drury was named Director of Evening and Off-Campus Programs and the Correspondence Course Program.

The University of Nevada Statewide Services was renamed, effective July 1, 1964, to General University Extension. It included Evening Classes, Off-Campus Programs, Correspondence Study, Continuing Education (formerly Special Projects and Institutes), Technical Education, Civil Defense Training, Audio-Visual Education, and Summer Session. Dr. J. Patrick Kelly became the Dean. For 1968-1970, a Correspondence Study Catalog was published under the name "University of Nevada System Correspondence Study" by General University Extension. The Continuing Education Department's name changed to the Division of Independent Study or the Independent Study Division with the 1973/74 academic year. In 1977, General University Extension became Extended Programs and Continuing Education, with an Independent Study Department.

Arrangement

Arranged in 6 series: I University of Nevada Extension. II. Statewide Development Program. III. Statewide Services Program. IV. General University Extension. V. Evening Division. VI. Division of Independent Study.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Transfer.
Title
A Guide to the University of Nevada, Reno, General University Extension records
Status
completed
Description rules
dacs

Repository Details

Part of the University of Nevada, Reno. University Archives Repository

Contact:
Mathewson-IGT Knowledge Center
1664 N. Virginia St.
University of Nevada, Reno
Reno NV 89557-0322 USA
775-682-5665
775-682-5724 (Fax)