Max C. Fleischmann College of Agriculture, Cooperative Extension Service Records
Scope and Contents
The Max C. Fleischmann College of Agriculture, Cooperative Extension Service Records document the Cooperative Extension Service from 1934-1980, but primarily focus on 4-H programs, including the purchase and development of the Lake Tahoe camp. The director during much of this period was Cecil W. Creel, but Thomas E. Buckman was the extension administrator most closely in contact with the counties. Raymond C. Cox, a county extension agent, became the 4-H program director in 1961. In addition, there are limited records on general agricultural programs and the College of Agriculture.
There are also four scrapbooks containing photos, programs, and press clippings, of 4-H camps and campers, agricultural methods and equipment, and the Nevada Junior Livestock shows.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research. Materials must be used on-site; advance notice suggested. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.
The Nevada Cooperative Extension Service is the youngest of the three branches of agricultural education at the University of Nevada, Reno, following the Agricultural College and the Agricultural Experiment Station. Founded as a result of the Smith-Lever Act of 1914, it organized scores of clubs for young people in Nevada. It was the predecessor of modern 4-H clubs, and worked closely with the Nevada Farm Bureaus to connect the University with rural farmers and ranchers. In the 1950s, gifts of property and financial resources from the Max Fleischmann Foundation of Nevada led to the creation of buildings for agriculture and home economics at the University, and eventually to the unification of the three agricultural units into a more integrated college within the University. The Cooperative Extension and the College of Agriculture, Biotechnology, and Natural Resources work in tandem, though under different administrative leaders. [note paraphrased from CABNR https://www.unr.edu/cabnr/about-and-resources/history]
1.979 Linear Feet (3 boxes)
Language of Materials
The Nevada Cooperative Extension Service is one of the three branches of agricultural education. Founded in Nevada as a result of the Smith-Lever Act of 1914, it organized scores of clubs for young people that were the predecessor of the 4-H Club, and worked closely with the Nevada Farm Bureau. In 1938, The Nevada Farm Bureau and the Extension Service purchased a tract of land at Tahoe; a camp was established on the property owned by the state, paid for by the counties, and managed by the Extension Service. Cecil Creel was director of the Extension Service, but Thomas Buckman was the administrator. In 1961, Raymond Cox became the 4-H program director. The records primarily focus on 4-H programs, including the purchase and development of the Lake Tahoe camp. There are limited records on other agricultural programs and the College of Agriculture. In addition, there are 4 scrapbooks containing photos, programs, and press clippings on camps and the Nevada Junior Livestock shows.
Arranged into the following series: 1) Nevada 4-H Camp, Lake Tahoe; 2) 4-H Programs, Correspondence, and Reports; 3) 4-H Club Camps; 4) Extension/College of Agriculture; 5) Scrapbooks
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transferred by Mary Ellen Glass in 1980.
Photographs transferred to University Archives photo archives: 1) Nevada Junior Livestock Show, 1960. Photo number UNRA-P3201; 2) Final payment on State 4-H campgrounds: Thomas Buckman, Claude Hutchison, Edward J. Questa, R. O. Kwapil, 1980. Photo number UNRA-P3202.
- Guide to the Max C. Fleischmann College of Agriculture, Cooperative Extension Service Records
- Karen Gash
- Approximately 1998
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description