Max C. Fleischmann College of Agriculture, Agricultural Experiment Station Records
Scope and Contents
The records in this collection include correspondence files on various projects and services provided by the Agricultural Experiment Station. Some press releases, plat drawings, questionnaire responses, reports and property records are included. Of interest is the first issue of Rural Electrification News by the Rural Electrification Administration. There are three issues of the Farm Credit Administration's "Financing Western Farmers." Reports on agricultural planning for war are included.
The second series of records appear to have been maintained by Howard G. Mason, Agricultural Planning Specialist, and deal with the Nevada State Land Use Planning Committee, 1939-1942, a project with other state and federal agencies in a study of intensive farm planning on selected farms in Nevada.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research. Materials must be used on-site; advance notice suggested. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.
The Nevada Agricultural Experiment Station began soon after the establishment of the University of Nevada, thanks to the Hatch Act in 1887. The act provided an annual appropriation of $15,000 to each state to establish a nation-wide system of experiment stations to conduct agricultural research appropriate to their respective geographical needs. Limited funds for the new university in Nevada caused University President LeRoy Brown to serve as the Director of the Experiment Station in 1888, and its staff were university personnel. The Board of Regents of the University also served as the Board of Control of the Experiment Station. This arrangement continued through the administration of Brown's successors, Stephen Jones and Joseph E. Stubbs. The Experiment Station gained a 60-acre farm in Washoe County, and became a distinct unit supported by its own funds and staff in 1912. In 1913, Samuel B. Doten was appointed Director, a position he held until he retired in 1946.
After Doten's retirement, Charles E. Fleming became director until his retirement in 1960. During his period as director, the station merged with the College of Agriculture and the Cooperative Extension Service. After 1960, the Experiment Station came under the leadership of Ray E. Ely. In the 1950s, Dean of the College of Agriculture John Bertrand received funds from the Max Fleischmann Foundation of Nevada to construct new buildings for the College, which physically joined the College, Experiment Station, and Cooperative Extension.
In the latter half of the 20th century, subsequent leaders of the Experiment Station and the College turned their attention towards bringing instruction and programming into balance with the research efforts, and incorporated newer fields of expertise to the curriculum. The Experiment Station is now "directed toward the advancement of agriculture through biotechnological development, the preservation and management of natural resources, and the nutritional and social aspects of urban life." [note paraphrased from Experiment Station "History of Experiment Station" webpage https://naes.unr.edu/history.aspx]
1 Linear Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
The Agricultural Experiment Station began with the 1887 Hatch Act, to develop agricultural research and education. In addition, during the 1930s, it worked with other federal and state agencies, including the Agricultural Adjustment Administration, the Nevada Emergency Relief Administration, the Farm Credit Administration, and Indian Field Service on several projects. In 1939, the Experiment Station, together with the U.S. Bureau of Agricultural Economics and the Nevada Agricultural Extension Service, formed the Nevada State Land Use Planning Committee, a project to study farm planning on selected farms in Nevada. The collection contains correspondence files, 1932-1935, maintained by George Hardman, on various projects, including drought relief, erosion, irrigation and water supply with other state and federal agencies. Included is a copy of a presentation by William Peterson at the Stockmen's Convention, Ursine, Nevada, 1932, on the Taylor Grazing Act. A second series of records, 1939-1942, were maintained by Howard G. Mason, agricultural planning specialist, concerning the Nevada State Land Use Planning Committee and includes agreements, meeting minutes, and reports on Churchill, Clark, Douglas, Elko, Lincoln, and Lyon counties.
Arranged into the following series: 1) Correspondence; 2) Land Use Planning
- Agriculture -- History -- Nevada
- Clark County (Nev.)
- Douglas County (Nev.)
- Droughts -- Nevada
- Electric power systems -- Nevada
- Electric utilities -- Nevada
- Elko County (Nev.)
- Hardman, George
- Humboldt River (Nev.) -- Water rights
- Land use -- Nevada
- Land use -- Planning -- Nevada
- Lincoln County (Nev.)
- Lyon County (Nev.)
- Mason, Howard G.
- Max C. Fleischmann College of Agriculture. Agricultural Experiment Station
- McDermitt (Nev.)
- Nevada -- Maps
- Nevada. Emergency Relief Administration
- Nevada. State Land Use Planning Committee
- Newlands Project (U.S.)
- Peterson, William (Creator)
- Pyramid Lake (Nev.) -- Water rights
- United States. Agricultural Adjustment Administration
- United States. Bureau of Indian Affairs
- United States. Farm Credit Administration
- United States. Office of Indian Affairs. Indian Field Service
- Guide to the Max C. Fleischmann College of Agriculture, Agricultural Experiment Station Records
- Karen Gash
- Approximately 1999
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description