Skip to main content

Engineer's Day and Commencement Speakers Collection

 Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: AC 0194
The College of Engineering Engineer's Day and Commencement Speakers collection consists of six lp albums, one audiocassette, and one audio disk of the March 1941 Engineering Day program and the May 12, 1941 commencement. Electrical engineering professor Irving Sandorf served as announcer for the Engineer's Day program. Speakers included University President Leon W. Hartman, Henry McNamara, graduating seniors Cyril D. "Cy" Ham and Byron S. Hardie and junior year student William Richter. Engineering student David Hartman, the youngest son of President Hartman, was also a speaker. One side of an album lists: Mrs. R. Z. Hawkins, Mrs. Tobin, Mrs. Caldwell, and Mrs. Crompton.

The May 12, 1941, Commencement program speakers included Electrical Engineering Professor Irving Sandorf, College of Engineering Dean Stanley G. Palmer, electrical engineering student Guy Brown, Bill Potter, Ross Mortensen, and Roy Shipp.

LP albums recorded by Lee Lawhead. LP labelled "One of First Recordings - Testing Material - wrong speed." Another album is labelled "Poor Test, Fanny Shore, Test Record (March 1941).

Dates

  • 1941

Creator

Restrictions

Collection is open for research. Materials must be used on-site; advance notice suggested. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.

Extent

1 Cubic Feet (6 lp albums, 1 audiocassette, 1 audio disc)

Abstract

The College of Engineering Engineer's Day and Commencement Speakers collection consists of six lp albums, one audiocassette, and one audio disk of the March 1941 Engineering Day program and the May 12, 1941 commencement. Electrical engineering professor Irving Sandorf served as announcer for the Engineer's Day program. Speakers included University President Leon W. Hartman, Henry McNamara, graduating seniors Cyril D. "Cy" Ham and Byron S. Hardie and junior year student William Richter. Engineering student David Hartman, the youngest son of President Hartman, was also a speaker. One side of an album lists: Mrs. R. Z. Hawkins, Mrs. Tobin, Mrs. Caldwell, and Mrs. Crompton.

Administrative History

In 1864, the Nevada Constitutional Convention provided for the establishment of a State University with departments for agriculture, mechanics and mining. Section 8, Article II ordered the Board of Regents of the proposed University to "... immediately organize and maintain" a Mining Department." When the University first opened in Elko in 1874, and later when it moved to Reno in 1885, courses in mechanic arts and mining engineering were established. In 1905, the College of Engineering was organized with schools of mining, mechanical, and civil engineering. In 1890, six separate schools were established, including Mechanic Arts and Mining Engineering. Courses for a Department of Engineering were offered for the first time in 1896-1897. In 1951, the Mackay School of Mines was given autonomous college status, with a separate dean appointed.

Arrangement

Unarranged

Technical Requirements

Audio and/or video items may not be available for listening/viewing on demand due to their older genre formats.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

College of Engineering. Transferred by Irving Sandorf, Chairman of Electrical Engineering
Title
A Guide to the Engineer's Day and Commencement Speakers Collection
Status
completed
Description rules
dacs

Repository Details

Part of the University of Nevada, Reno. University Archives Repository

Contact:
Mathewson-IGT Knowledge Center
1664 N. Virginia St.
University of Nevada, Reno
Reno NV 89557-0322 USA
775-682-5665
775-682-5724 (Fax)