Honorary Degree Recipients Records
Scope and Contents
The Honorary Degree Recipient Records contains files on honorary degree and distinguished Nevada recipients, 1937-1969. The information includes brief biographical sketches of the recipients, correspondence, and photographs.
- University of Nevada System. Board of Regents (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research. Materials must be used on-site; advance notice suggested. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.
The first honorary degree was awarded in 1888, to Hannah K. Clapp. In the minutes of the Board of Regents, August 15, 1888, is recorded that "Upon Resolution it was ordered that the degree of M.A. be conferred upon Professor Hannah K. Clapp by the Board of Regents." Several degrees were awarded after that date, but it wasn't until July 27, 1908, that the Board established policy by announcing that "It is hereby resolved...that no honorary degrees be hereafter granted...except for distinguished and unusual public, scientific, literary or educational attainments..." The practice of awarding honorary degrees was sporadic after that date, and was suspended briefly, when in 1941, the Board expressed itself as not in favor of granting the degrees and moved that it be general policy not to grant them any longer. This was reversed in May 1944, however, when they voted to award the Degree of Doctor of Laws to Charles H. Gorman in recognition of his 30 years service and his incumbency as acting president. Since that time, honorary degrees have been regularly awarded.
The Distinguished Nevadan award was established in 1958, when acting president William Wood proposed to the Board that such an award be made each year at commencement. "The purpose...to recognize prominent individuals, who are present or former residents of the state...for their significant achievements contributing to the cultural, economic, scientific, or social advancement of Nevada; or for educational service to the state or nation that has influenced constructively the well-being of mankind." The Board of Regents approved the award, and the first recipients, James Edward Church, Peter Frandsen, and Stanley Pargellis, received the award that same year.
0.5 Linear Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
The first honorary degree was awarded in 1888, to Hannah K. Clapp. In the minutes of the Board of Regents, August 15, 1888, is recorded that "Upon Resolution it was ordered that the degree of M.A. be conferred upon Professor Hannah K. Clapp by the Board of Regents." This collection contains files on honorary degree and distinguished Nevada recipients, 1937-1969. The information includes brief biographical sketches of the recipients, correspondence, and photographs.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transferred from the Board of Regents on an unknown date.
- Adams, Eva Bertrand, 1908-1991
- African Americans -- History -- Nevada
- Badie, Margaret
- Badt, Milton B.
- Berkner, Lloyd V. (Lloyd Viel), 1905-1967
- Berlin, Ellin
- Church, James Edward, Jr., 1869-1959
- Dodge, Carl F.
- Eather, Edgar
- Erskine, Hazel Gaudet
- Feemster, Dolores
- Fife, James
- Fleischmann, Max C. (Max Charles), 1877-1951
- Foley, Roger T.
- Frandsen, Peter, 1876-1967
- Gibson, Samuel
- Gloyd, Howard
- Grier, Herbert Earl
- Guild, Clark J., 1887-1971
- Hadley, Morris
- Hamlet, Julia
- Hardy, Roy A., 1886-1974
- Heizer, Robert F. (Robert Fleming), 1915-1979
- Hunt, William
- Isbell, C. V. (Clement V.)
- Kinnear, John C.
- Ledger, John T.
- Love, Malcolm A. (Malcolm Andrews), 1904-1990
- Mack, Effie Mona
- McCulloch, Frank Walter
- McHenry, Dean Eugene
- Mildren, Frank T. (Frank Thomas)
- Mullins, Ernest
- Nelson, Esterline
- Nevada -- Politics and government
- Nevada -- Race relations
- Ogilvie, George
- Pittman, Vail Montgomery, 1880-1964
- Public welfare -- Law and legislation -- Nevada
- Questa, Edward J.
- Riegelhuth, Katharine, 1876-1973
- Rusco, Elmer R.
- Salet, Eugene A.
- Sanford, William Clark
- Sawyer, Grant, 1918-1996
- Smith, Alice L., 1902-1990
- Smith, Lloyd P.
- Spengler, Kenneth C., 1915-2010
- Summerfield, Lester D., 1888-1966
- Swobe, Coe
- University of Nevada System. Board of Regents
- University of Nevada, Reno. Bureau of Governmental Research (Creator)
- University of Nevada, Reno. Bureau of Governmental Research
- University of Nevada. Board of Regents
- University of Nevada. Board of Regents (Creator)
- Wartman, Franklin S.
- Webb, William D.
- Whittell, George, 1881-1969
- Williams, Joseph
- Woodward, Ullyses S.
- Wooster, Earl, 1893-1977
- Guide to the Honorary Degree Recipients Records
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description