Skip to main content

Max C. Fleischmann College of Agriculture Records

 Collection
Identifier: AC 0288
Records are arranged into three divisions, the College of Agriculture, the Cooperative Extension Service, and the Agricultural Experiment Station. Records include correspondence with the deans and directors of the divisions; correspondence with university presidents and county agents; information of the Newlands Project, and the Nevada Farm Bureau; project reports; information on personnel; budgets; experiment record books; letterpress books; photographs; maps and graphs. Also included are personal correspondence files kept by Samuel B. Doten, Agricultural Experiment Director. The records primarily cover the 1930s-1950s, with little beyond 1957, with the exception of limited Cooperative Extension records for the mid-1960s.

Dates

  • 1889-1965

Creator

Restrictions

Collection is open for research. Materials must be used on-site; advance notice suggested. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.

Extent

82 Cubic Feet (84 boxes)

Abstract

Records are arranged into three divisions, the College of Agriculture, the Cooperative Extension Service, and the Agricultural Experiment Station. Records include correspondence with the deans and directors of the divisions; correspondence with university presidents and county agents; information of the Newlands Project, and the Nevada Farm Bureau; project reports; information on personnel; budgets; experiment record books; letterpress books; photographs; maps and graphs. Also included are personal correspondence files kept by Samuel B. Doten, Agricultural Experiment Director. The records primarily cover the 1930s-1950s, with little beyond 1957, with the exception of limited Cooperative Extension records for the mid-1960s.

Administrative History

The College of Agriculture and the Agricultural Experiment Station began in 1887. Although technically separate legal entities, they shared common interests in investigating the principles and application of agricultural science. Projects and research addressed irrigation, ranching, and farm development in Nevada counties. In 1914, the Cooperative Extension Service was established to reach out to rural areas of the state and, through its agents and agricultural advisors, to develop ranch and home projects. In the 1950s, the programs were consolidated into a unified College of Agriculture under the direction of John R. Bertrand. Previously, deans of the college included Charles S. Knight, Robert E. Stewart, Cecil Creel, and Claude Hutchison. Subsequent deans were James E. Adams and Dale Bohmont. Directors for the Agricultural Experiment Station were Gordon True, Samuel B. Doten, and Charles E. Fleming. Charles A. Norcross served as the first director of the Cooperative Extension Service, followed by Cecil Creel and his assistant, Thomas E. Buckman.

Arrangement

Arranged by grouping of similar records, generally in chronological order. Because of overlapping jurisdiction within College of Agriculture divisions and co-operative projects among divisions, material may be crossed over and found in several places. A large portion of the collection remains in original file folders with original folder titles.

Related Archival Materials

See also: AC 0655 Nevada Cooperative Extension Records.

Separated Materials

Photographs transferred to University Archives Photograph Archives as UNRA-P3538.
Title
Guide to the Max C. Fleischmann College of Agriculture Records
Status
completed
Author
Lenore Kosso
Date
1991
Description rules
dacs

Repository Details

Part of the University of Nevada, Reno. University Archives Repository

Contact:
Mathewson-IGT Knowledge Center
1664 N. Virginia St.
University of Nevada, Reno
Reno NV 89557-0322 USA
775-682-5665
775-682-5724 (Fax)