Skip to main content

Max C. Fleischmann College of Agriculture Records

 Collection
Identifier: AC 0298
This collection consist of various records of the College of Agriculture, Nevada Cooperative Extension Service, and Experiment Station, 1915-1987, with the bulk of the records 1960s-1970s. The majority of records are annual reports, research reports, and programs of work. Also included is general correspondence; a history of the Max C. Fleischmann College of Agriculture, 1957; and an undated history of the Lincoln County Agricultural Experiment farm. 4-H Club material is included in the Nevada Cooperative Extension records.

Dates

  • 1890-1987

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research. Materials must be used on-site; advance notice suggested. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.

Extent

10 Cubic Feet (18 boxes)

Overview

The College of Agriculture and the Agricultural Experiment Station began in 1887, under the auspices of the Hatch Act. This collection consist of various records of the College of Agriculture, Nevada Cooperative Extension Service, and Experiment Station, 1915-1987, with the bulk of the records 1960s-1970s. The majority of records are annual reports, research reports, and programs of work. Also included is general correspondence; a history of the Max C. Fleischmann College of Agriculture, 1957; and an undated history of the Lincoln County Agricultural Experiment farm. 4-H Club material is included in the Nevada Cooperative Extension records.

Administrative History

The College of Agriculture and the Agricultural Experiment Station began in 1887, under the auspices of the Hatch Act. Although technically separate legal entities, they shared common interests in investigating the principles and application of agricultural science. Projects and research addressed irrigation, ranching, and farm development in Nevada counties. In 1914, the Nevada Cooperative Extension Service was established to reach out to rural areas and, through its agents and agricultural advisors, to develop ranch and home projects. In the 1950s, the programs were consolidated into a unified College of Agriculture. In 1954, the Max C. Fleischmann Foundation of Nevada provided financing for a new agriculture building. In recognition, the college was named the Max C. Fleischmann College of Agriculture.

Arrangement

Arranged in the following series: 1) History and Administrative Material; 2) Nevada Cooperative Extension; 3) Research Reports; 4) Western Region; 5) Non-Nevada Material.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Periodic transfers from the College of Agriculture.

Related Materials

Related archival materials held by University Archives:

Nevada Master Gardener Program Records (AC 0536)
Title
A Guide to the Max C. Fleischmann College of Agriculture Records
Status
completed
Author
Karen Gash and Betty Glass
Date
Approximately 2000
Description rules
dacs

Repository Details

Part of the University of Nevada, Reno. University Archives Repository

Contact:
Mathewson-IGT Knowledge Center
1664 N. Virginia St.
University of Nevada, Reno
Reno NV 89557-0322 USA
775-682-5665
775-682-5724 (Fax)