Young Women's Christian Association (University of Nevada, Reno) Records

 Collection
Identifier: AC 0349

Scope and Contents

The Young Women's Christian Association (University of Nevada, Reno) Records cover primarily the period 1960-1974, and include correspondence, reports, and programs; the scrapbooks cover the years 1938-1965. Also included is an evaluation of the University YWCA done in 1962, by Winifred Heron, Susan Lombardi, Louise McIntyre, and Ann Scott, which examined the problems and direction of the Campus Y.

Dates

  • 1910-1974

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research. Materials must be used on-site; advance notice suggested. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.

Administrative History

The Young Women's Christian Association of the University of Nevada was organized March 25, 1898, and became a charter member of the National YWCA in 1906. The name, Campus Y, was often used to distinguish it from the Reno-Sparks YWCA, formed in 1921. The Campus Y was very active on the campus, and ran a snack bar, provided orientation for new students, and handled the cap and gown concession in addition to a variety of other activities. When the Jot Travis Union was built, the University took over these services, and there was a decline in membership.

In 1962, the University YWCA was dropped as a United Fund agency, and by 1965 appeared headed for extinction. In 1966, the Wygal Fund was established in memory of Winnifred Wygal, the first paid staff member on the Reno campus (1912-1917), which led to the hiring of an executive director and by 1970, the Campus Y was again a member agency of the Washoe County United Fund. It existed for only a short time though, and was listed as a recognized university organization only through 1973/74.

Extent

2 Linear Feet (3 boxes)

Language of Materials

English

Overview

The Young Women's Christian Association of the University of Nevada was organized March 25, 1898 and became a charter member of the National YWCA in 1906. The name, Campus Y, was often used to distinguish it from the Reno-Sparks YWCA, formed in 1921. The Campus Y was very active on the campus, and ran a snack bar, provided orientation for new students, and handled the cap and gown concession in addition to a variety of other activities. The collection includes correspondence, reports, and programs; the scrapbooks cover the years 1938-1965.

Arrangement

Arranged into the following series: 1) Records; 2) Scrapbooks

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Transferred from the Young Women's Christian Association circa 1980.
Title
Guide to the Young Women's Christian Association (University of Nevada, Reno) Records
Status
Completed
Author
Karen Gash and Betty Glass
Date
Approximately 1997
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the University of Nevada, Reno. University Archives Repository

Contact:
Mathewson-IGT Knowledge Center
1664 N. Virginia St.
University of Nevada, Reno
Reno NV 89557-0322 USA
775-682-5665
775-682-5724 (Fax)