Stewart Hall Records
Identifier: AC 0635
Scope and Contents
The Stewart Hall Records consist of a safety survey conducted by H. V. Lamberti, Structural Engineer, in January 1958, and an article about the removal of the building's upper levels in the September 1959 issue of Alumnus. 2013 email from Alumna Patricia Sue Hamilton describes the evacuation of the building during a 1957 earthquake, which led to the removal of the building's upper levels in 1959.
- 1958 - 1959
- University of Nevada (Creator, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research. Materials must be used on-site; advance notice suggested. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.
Stewart Hall was the second building at the Reno campus of the University of Nevada. It was constructed in 1889, west of Morrill Hall, and eventually named for Nevada's first U. S. Senator, William M. Stewart. It contained the Normal School, the Departments of Domestic Arts and Sciences, English, French, and Math. It served as a dormitory for women students and had a student dining room in the basement. It also provided rooms for the Y.M.C.A. The beautiful Victorian building was called "The Cottage" by the University community. It was filmed by 20th Century Fox for their 1946 movie "Margie." Following an earthquake in 1957, a 1958 structural examination determined that its upper levels were beyond rectification. In July 1958, the Board of Regents approved remodeling funding to remove the upper levels. The basement housed the Graduate School and a concession stand when the upper levels were removed in 1959. Still present in 1963, the building was later completely razed.
0.4 Linear Feet (2 folders)
Language of Materials
Steward Hall was the second building constructed on the University of Nevada campus in 1889. It was later demolished. in The Stewart Hall Records consist of a safety survey conducted in January 1958, and an article about the removal of the building's upper levels from September 1959. 2013 email from Alumna Patricia Sue Hamilton describes the evacuation of the building during a 1957 earthquake, which led to the removal of the building's upper levels in 1959.
Arranged by topic.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transfer after 1958; email added in 2013.
- Guide to the Stewart Hall Records
- Betty Glass
- September 2015
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note