Department of Biology Records
Scope and Contents
The Department of Biology Records is composed of annual reports of the Biology Museum, curricular material including laboratory manuals, articles by faculty, and marketing material for programs and initiatives.
- University of Nevada, Reno. Department of Biology (Creator, Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research. Materials must be used on-site; advance notice suggested. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.
The Department of Biology was founded after 1900. Peter Frandsen, who had graduated from the University of Nevada in 1895, was the first professor in the department. Later, Frandsen was joined in 1913 by Margaret E. Mack. Both Frandsen and Mack taught until 1942. Other early faculty included Charles L. Brown, Philip A. Lehenbauer, Frank Richardson, and Ira La Rivers. By 1973, the department had grown to 14 faculty.
In 1953, a museum was established with curatorships in botany, invertebrates, cold-blooded vertebrates, and warm-blooded vertebrates under the overall direction of La Rivers.
[Hulse, James W. The University of Nevada: A Centennial History. Reno: University of Nevada Press, 1974.]
0.41 Linear Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
The Department of Biology Records is composed of annual reports of the Biology Museum, curricular material including laboratory manuals, articles by faculty, and marketing material for programs and initiatives from the University of Nevada, Reno (1923-2003).
Arranged into the following series: 1) Announcements, Brochures and Newspaper Clippings; 2) Biodiversity Research Center; 3) Biology Museum; 4) Curricular Material; 5) Faculty Publications
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Periodic transfers from Department of Biology, including February 2015.
NUB 26/08/01-NUB 26/08/08 and NUB 26/08/04 merged into AC 0595 in March 2015.
- Botany -- Nevada
- Clark, William H. (Creator)
- Comanor, Peter Laurence (Creator)
- Frandsen, Peter, 1876-1967 (Creator)
- Gubanich, Alan A. (Alan Andrew) (Creator)
- Kleiner, Edgar F. (Creator)
- La Rivers, Ira (Creator)
- Lehenbauer, Philip A., 1881-1968 (Creator)
- Mead, Robert W. (Creator)
- Mozingo, Hugh Nelson (Creator)
- University of Nevada, Reno. Department of Biology
- University of Nevada. Department of Biology (Creator)
- University of Nevada. Department of Biology
- Vig, Baldev K. (Baldev Krishan) (Creator)
- Guide to the Department of Biology Records
- Betty Glass
- March 2, 2015
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description