Skip to main content

Donald W. Reynolds School of Journalism Records

 Collection
Identifier: AC 0659
The Department of Journalism officially became the Donald W. Reynolds School of Journalism on September 14, 1984. These records include materials about the establishment of the new school including bylaws, correspondence, curriculum materials, and information about deans, faculty, and benefactors. Planning and promotional materials for events sponsored by the Reynolds School are also included.

Dates

  • 1965-2017

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research. Materials must be used on-site; advance notice suggested. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.

Extent

3.5 Linear Feet (4 boxes)

Overview

The Department of Journalism officially became the Donald W. Reynolds School of Journalism on September 14, 1984. These records include materials about the establishment of the new school including bylaws, correspondence, curriculum materials, and information about deans, faculty, and benefactors. Planning and promotional materials for events sponsored by the Reynolds School are also included.

Administrative History

The first course in Journalism at the University of Nevada was offered in 1921 within the Department of English. Professor Alfred Higginbotham, an experienced newspaperman, was hired by the English Department and developed the 1922 curriculum to cover the areas of editorial writing, advertising, public relations, newspaper, magazine, and electronics journalism (radio, television, and national wire news services). In 1936, the Kappa Tau Alpha chapter of the Journalism Honor Society was established at the University, followed by the Sigma Delta Chi chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists in 1947.

The Board of Regents approved the establishment of the Department of Journalism in December 1942. The Department collaborated with the Nevada State Press Association to establish the Nevada Newspaper Hall of Fame in 1948. Early courses were taught in the Jones Building. In 1967, the Department moved into the entire first floor of the new Mack Social Sciences Building.

In 1984, the Donald W. Reynolds School of Journalism and Center for Advanced Media Studies was established. The Center for Advanced Media Studies was designed to provide working media professionals with an environment for study and debate within the framework of seminars and other activities. In 1993, the School of Journalism moved into its new building.

Arrangement

Arranged in the following series: 1) Administrative Records; 2) Robert Laxalt Distinguished Writer Program; 3) Deans and Faculty; 4) Building and Program History; 5) Publications; 6) Endowments, Programs, and Special Events

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Emeritus Professor Warren Lerude donated material about the history of the Reynolds School of Journalism in 2016. Other material was acquired in earlier years via transfers from the School. Newspaper clippings and other material about several faculty and deans transferred from University Archives Biographical Files in 2017.

Separated Materials

Photographs transferred to University Archives Photograph Archives as UNRA-P3678.

Six issues of Reynolds Courts and Media Law Journal (cataloged separately).

Brown, Judith L. A Hero Named Sig. Las Vegas, NV: Public Education Foundation Press, 2011 (cataloged separately).

Processing Information

In October 2018, the following formerly numbered collections were incorporated into this collection:

NUB 26/15/04 (Alumni News, 1999) NUB 26/15/02 (Brochures) NUB 26/15/03 (Awards) NUB 26/15/01 (Bylaws, 1986) NUB 26/15 (The Nevada Journalist, 1984)
Title
Donald W. Reynolds School of Journalism Records
Status
completed
Author
Betty Glass
Date
February 2017
Description rules
dacs

Repository Details

Part of the University of Nevada, Reno. University Archives Repository

Contact:
Mathewson-IGT Knowledge Center
1664 N. Virginia St.
University of Nevada, Reno
Reno NV 89557-0322 USA
775-682-5665
775-682-5724 (Fax)