Department of Physics Records

 Collection
Identifier: AC 0704

Scope and Contents

The Department of Physics Records contains announcements, reports, department history,and a laboratory manual from the department.

Dates

  • 1954-1999

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research. Materials must be used on-site; advance notice suggested. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.

Historical Note

Instruction in physics was first offered at the University of Nevada in 1887, followed by the formal organization of the Physics Department as an academic unit in 1907. A Ph.D. program in physics was established in 1961, with additional options initiated in atmospheric physics in 1968 and chemical physics in 1992.

Traditionally, as part of a land-grant university, a major component of the Physics Department's instructional mission has been to underpin the other sciences, mathematics and engineering. The implementation of the university's core curriculum in the 1990's broadened that mission and marked a period of substantial growth, particularly of the Department's research enterprise. A milestone in the development of the Physics Department was the dedication of the Nevada Terawatt Facility by Senator Harry Reid in 2000.

The physics department at The University of Nevada is a small department by enrollment but operates a large enterprise in terms of research and "service" education for engineering and other science departments. Currently with 16 teaching faculty and 16 research faculty, approximately 30 undergraduate majors and approximately 50 graduate students, the department is one of the leaders of the university in external grant funding and teaches hundreds of students from other disciplines every semester. In addition the department has a continuing collaboration with the Desert Research Institute's atmospheric sciences program which grants advanced degrees in Atmospheric Physics through the physics department and is currently developing an atmospheric physics track BA degree through the physics department. The department is proud of the fact that students at all levels are encouraged to become involved in research and many undergraduates have publication before graduation.

[History take from the University of Nevada, Reno Department of Physics website, accessed April 5, 2021]

Extent

0.41 Linear Feet (4 folders)

Language of Materials

English

Overview

Instruction in physics was first offered at the University of Nevada in 1887, followed by the formal organization of the Physics Department as an academic unit in 1907. A Ph.D. program in physics was established in 1961, with additional options initiated in atmospheric physics in 1968 and chemical physics in 1992. The collection contains announcements, reports, department history,and a laboratory manual from the department.

Arrangement

Arranged chronologically.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Transferred and collected through campus distribution, most recently in 2004. The Laboratory Manual received from Sherman Swanson in 2020.
Title
Department of Physics Records
Status
In Progress
Author
Jessica Maddox
Date
April 2021
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the University of Nevada, Reno. University Archives Repository

Contact:
Mathewson-IGT Knowledge Center
1664 N. Virginia St.
University of Nevada, Reno
Reno NV 89557-0322 USA
775-682-5665
775-682-5724 (Fax)