Skip to main content

College of Business Administration Records

 Collection
Identifier: AC 0600
The records include historical information about establishing the college, bylaws, meeting minutes, self-evaluation reports, course catalogs, brochures, gaming conference material, newsletters for the college and its alumni assoication, booklets of Graduating Seniors, 1958-1959; 1964, 1971-1972; 1975; and videocassettes of proposal bids by casinos for a new casino in France.

Dates

  • 1955-2009

Creator

Restrictions

Collection is open for research. Materials must be used on-site; advance notice suggested. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.

Extent

2 Cubic Feet (2 boxes)

Abstract

The records include historical information about establishing the college, bylaws, meeting minutes, self-evaluation reports, course catalogs, brochures, gaming conference material, newsletters for the college and its alumni assoication, booklets of Graduating Seniors, 1958-1959; 1964, 1971-1972; 1975; and videocassettes of proposal bids by casinos for a new casino in France.

Historical Note

During University President Leroy D. Brown's administration, he established a Commercial School and the Business Department as one of six curricular divisions for the University. Professor Robert Lewers came to the University in 1890, where he served as Principal of the Commercial School and Professor of Political Economy. The Commercial High School was basically a preparatory school and was on the third floor of Morrill Hall. In 1904-05, the University had a School of Commerce, with its first graduate in 1905.

In August 1955, University President Minard W. Stout recommended to the Board of Regents that a College of Business Administration (COBA) be established. The College began its operation on July 1, 1956, with Dr. Robert C. Weems, Jr., as its first Dean. It was first located on the third floor of Morrill Hall and relocated to the Silas E. Ross Hall in 1957. In 1977, Richard Hughs became the second Dean of COBA. In 1982, during his term, COBA relocated to the Ansari Business Building, which was completed in 1983. Dr. Henry D. Amato became the COBA Dean on July 1, 1985. The College of Business Administration's Alumni Association was established in 1985 and published a newsletter. Dr. Laurie Harwood became Dean of the College in 1990. Dr. Michael Reed became Dean in 1992. The current Dean is Gregory C. Mosier. The Nevada System of Higher Education's Academic Affairs Council approved changing the name to the College of Business in December 2009.

Arrangement

The records are arranged in three series: 1) Administrative Records; 2) Publications; 3) Videocassettes.

Technical Requirements note

Audio, computer files, and/or video items may not be available for listening/viewing on demand due to their older genre formats.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Transfer from the College periodically.

Related Archival Materials

See also: Nevada Small Business Development Center Records, AC 0599.

Separated Materials

13 black and white photographs transferred to University Photo Archives as UNRA-P3588.
Title
A Guide to College of Business Administration Records
Status
completed
Author
Betty Glass
Date
April 23, 2015
Description rules
dacs

Repository Details

Part of the University of Nevada, Reno. University Archives Repository

Contact:
Mathewson-IGT Knowledge Center
1664 N. Virginia St.
University of Nevada, Reno
Reno NV 89557-0322 USA
775-682-5665
775-682-5724 (Fax)