Office of the President of the University of Nevada, Reno Records, John M. Lilley
Scope and Contents
The Office of the President, University of Nevada, Reno Records, President John M. Lilley, include accreditation, bylaw revisions, and planning documents for several of the University's colleges; Animal Care and Use Program reports; architectural drawings; campus policies; communication with state and federal politicians concerning the University; correspondence; the Faculty Morale Report; financial records, a history of the Earthquake Engineering Research and Education Center, Information Technology and Telecommunications material; Intercollegiate Athletics Board reports; material about the University's lobbyists; Nevada Agricultural Experiment Station reports; proposals for new academic units; Provost John H. Frederick material; regional planning maps; reports; speeches; Washoe County regional planning material, and Wolf Run Golf Course material.
- Lilley, John M. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research. Materials must be used on-site; advance notice suggested. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.
Conditions Governing Use
Folders labeled "Restricted" are unavailable for general access. Permission to view them before that time must be obtained in writing from the UNR Office of the President.
Those with permission to see the restricted records before January 2024 include past and present UNR Presidents: , Dr. John Lilley, Dr. Stephen McFarlane, and Dr. Marc Johnson; Chief of Staff, Patricia Richard; Executive Assistant to the President, Janet Sanderson; and Administrative Assistant to the Chief of Staff, Jodi Fraser.
John Mark Lilley was born on March 24, 1939, in Converse, Louisiana, the son of a Baptist minister. He graduated from Baylor University in 1964 with bachelor's degrees in music education and church music and a master's degree in music. He then worked at the University of Southern California and entered its doctoral program. He taught at The Claremont Colleges from 1966-1976, completing his Ph.D. in music from USC in 1971.
In 1973 he became chair of the music department at Scripps College. He served as Assistant Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at Kansas State University from 1976-1980 and received a certificate from the Harvard Business School in 1978. He then served as Dean and Provost at Pennsylvania State University, Erie from 1980-2001.
In October 2001, Lilley became the fourteenth President of the University of Nevada, Reno, serving until 2005. He then served as President of Baylor University from 2006-2008. He has served on the Board of the Economic Development Authority of Western Nevada and the Reno Philharmonic Orchestra.
31.708 Linear Feet (33 boxes, 2 shared boxes)
Language of Materials
John M. Lilley (1939- ) served as the fourteenth president of the University of Nevada, Reno from 2001-2005. The collection consists of records created by the Office of the President during Lilley's term and includes material on accreditation, departments, and the general running of the university.
Arranged into the following series: 1) Academics; 2) Administrative; 3) Athletics; 4) Committees and Organizations; 5) Correspondence; 6) Government Relations; 7) President's Council; 8) UCCSN Board of Regents and Chancellor; 9) Biographical Material, Publications and Speeches
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Periodic transfers from the Office of the President, including 2006, February 2014 and March 2015. Copies of some records were obtained during 2013 as part of a Document Recovery for University History project and were inter-filed in appropriate folders.
Photograph transferred to University Archives Photograph Archives as collection number UNRA-P1507-92.
- Travel reimbursement, meal and supplies receipts/invoices.
- Travel reimbursements; host expense reports, purchasing card form, and telephone bills.
- 4 AAUN budget reports
- Receipts for meals, supplies and travel Duplicates of some documents
- Athletics -- Nevada
- Ault, Chris, 1946-
- College sports -- Nevada
- Coray, Michael S. (Creator)
- Fleischmann Planetarium
- Frederick, John H., Dr.
- Groth, Cary
- Guinn, Kenny
- Higher education and state -- Nevada
- Lilley, John M.
- Lobbying -- Law and legislation -- Nevada
- National Collegiate Athletic Association
- Nevada Cancer Institute
- Nevada State College
- Nichols, Jane A.
- Reid, Harry
- Roger, James E.
- Teachers -- Training of -- Nevada
- Thunderbird Lodge (Incline Village, Nev.)
- Universities and colleges -- Nevada -- Reno -- Administration
- Universities and colleges -- Nevada -- Reno -- Faculty
- University and Community College System of Nevada. Board of Regents
- University of Nevada, Reno Foundation
- University of Nevada, Reno. Alumni Association
- University of Nevada, Reno. Committee on the Status of Women
- University of Nevada, Reno. Faculty Senate
- University of Nevada, Reno. Fire Science Academy
- University of Nevada, Reno. Intercollegiate Athletics Board
- Washoe County (Nev.)
- Western Athletic Conference
- Zurek, Ronald M. (Creator)
- Guide to the Office of the President of the University of Nevada, Reno Records, John M. Lilley
- Betty Glass
- February 2014
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description