The Wolf Pack Edge Collection
Scope and Contents
The Wolf Pack Edge Collection includes media guides and marketing material for several University Wolf Pack sports, athletes, and coaches; the first two issues of "The Total Pack Edge" newspaper, along with master pages and covers for some of its issues; transcripts of some of its articles; business records; and biographical information about founder and publisher Ken Moen. Included are CDs and zip disks containing varied content from the newspaper.
- Moen, Kenneth (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research. Materials must be used on-site; advance notice suggested. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.
Kenneth Moen was the creator and publisher of The Total Pack Edge newspaper. He polled various universities and publishers in 1994 concerning the logistics of such a publication. A mock-up of Volume 1, number 1, was dated September 24, 1994, and KMPM Publishing, Inc., was formed in July 1995. The first issue was published on May 16, 1997. That complimentary issue was numbered Volume 1, Issue 1. The next issue was dated August 25, 1997, and also numbered Volume 1, Issue 1. The University's Wolf Pack athletics was the focus of the newspaper. KMPM Publishing, Inc., won the gold Award from the Sierra Nevada Club of Print House Craftsman on January 17, 1998, for Issue 6 of The Total Pack Edge. The newspaper had subscribers in 22 states and 2 foreign countries by March 1998.
Kenneth Moen worked as an Air Traffic Controller at the Reno-Tahoe International Airport and had the idea to create an independent newspaper about the University of Nevada, Reno's Wolf Pack sports. He formed KMPM Publishing, Inc., in July 1995, serving on its Board of Directors. By 2002, the newspaper switched completely to digital format.
1.58 Linear Feet (2 boxes, 1 oversize folder)
Language of Materials
The Wolf Pack Edge was a community-created newspaper that focused on the University of Nevada, Reno Wolf Pack athletics. The collection includes media guides and marketing material for several University Wolf Pack sports, athletes, and coaches; the first two issues of "The Total Pack Edge" newspaper, along with master pages and covers for some of its issues; transcripts of some of its articles; business records; and biographical information about founder and publisher Kenneth Moen.
Arranged into the following series: 1) UNR Sports; 2) The Total Pack Edge Newspaper; 3) The Wolf Pack Edge Newspaper; 4) Miscellaneous
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by publisher Kenneth Moen in May 2015.
Photograph prints, negatives, and slides transferred to University Archives Photo Archives as collection UNRA-P3638.
Mac and PC photo disks transferred to University Archives Photo Archives as 'born digital' collection UNRA-P3639.
- one CD disk with 2 images of an unidentified green car with a disabled license plate in a parking lot
- Non-UNR related photographs and photo disks transferred to Special Collections' Photo Archives for retention review and processing.
- Athletics -- Nevada
- Brock, Marion
- Cobb, Tyrus W.
- College sports -- Nevada
- Fox, Mark
- Jensen, Jackie, 1927-1982
- Merritt, Rich
- Motley, Marion, 1920-1999
- National Collegiate Athletic Association (Creator)
- Students -- Nevada -- Reno
- Universities and colleges -- Nevada -- Reno -- Mascots
- University of Nevada, Reno. Athletics Department (Creator)
- University of Nevada, Reno. Department of Intercollegiate Athletics
- University of Nevada, Reno. Nevada Athletic Media Services (Creator)
- University of Nevada, Reno. Sports Information Department (Creator)
- Guide to The Wolf Pack Edge Collection
- Betty Glass
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description