Max C. Fleischmann College of Agriculture, Agricultural Experiment Station Records

 Collection
Identifier: AC 0004

Scope and Contents

This collection of records are primarily on the Nevada Agricultural Experiment Station, 1901-1923, created during the tenure of Samuel B. Doten, Experiment Director, 1913-1946. Included is correspondence with the U.S.D.A. Office of Experiment Stations; Cecil Creel, Director of Agricultural Extension; George Hardman, faculty member of the College of Agriculture; and Nevada Governor James Scrugham.

In addition, there are Doten's personal correspondence files with family and friends that describe local and national events and people. Included is correspondence with George Wharton James, western author, and information on the University's efforts in World War I (1914-1918).

Dates

  • 1901-1923

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research. Materials must be used on-site; advance notice suggested. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.

Historical Note

The Nevada Agricultural Experiment Station began soon after the establishment of the University of Nevada, thanks to the Hatch Act in 1887. The act provided an annual appropriation of $15,000 to each state to establish a nation-wide system of experiment stations to conduct agricultural research appropriate to their respective geographical needs. Limited funds for the new university in Nevada caused University President LeRoy Brown to serve as the Director of the Experiment Station in 1888, and its staff were university personnel. The Board of Regents of the University also served as the Board of Control of the Experiment Station. This arrangement continued through the administration of Brown's successors, Stephen Jones and Joseph E. Stubbs. The Experiment Station gained a 60-acre farm in Washoe County, and became a distinct unit supported by its own funds and staff in 1912. In 1913, Samuel B. Doten was appointed Director, a position he held until he retired in 1946.

After Doten's retirement, Charles E. Fleming became director until his retirement in 1960. During his period as director, the station merged with the College of Agriculture and the Cooperative Extension Service. After 1960, the Experiment Station came under the leadership of Ray E. Ely. In the 1950s, Dean of the College of Agriculture John Bertrand received funds from the Max Fleischmann Foundation of Nevada to construct new buildings for the College, which physically joined the College, Experiment Station, and Cooperative Extension.

In the latter half of the 20th century, subsequent leaders of the Experiment Station and the College turned their attention towards bringing instruction and programming into balance with the research efforts, and incorporated newer fields of expertise to the curriculum. The Experiment Station is now "directed toward the advancement of agriculture through biotechnological development, the preservation and management of natural resources, and the nutritional and social aspects of urban life." [note paraphrased from Experiment Station "History of Experiment Station" webpage https://naes.unr.edu/history.aspx]

Extent

3 Linear Feet (3 boxes)

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The Nevada Agricultural Experiment Station began with the Hatch Act in 1887, which provided an annual appropriation of $15,000 to each state to establish a nation-wide system of experiment stations to conduct agricultural research. A Board of Control of each Station was to decide the problems to be investigated under this grant. The collection are primarily on the Nevada Agricultural Experiment Station, 1901-1923, created during the tenure of Samuel B. Doten, Experiment Director, 1913-1946. Included is correspondence with the U.S.D.A. Office of Experiment Stations, Cecil Creel, Director of Agricultural Extension, George Hardman, faculty member of the College of Agriculture, and Nevada Governor James Scrugham.

Arrangement

Records are in order as received. The files were numbered and original numbering was retained; it is apparent that some files are missing.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Transferred from an unknown source.

Title
Guide to the Max C. Fleischmann College of Agriculture, Agricultural Experiment Station Records
Status
Completed
Author
Betty Glass
Date
August 16, 2008
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the University of Nevada, Reno. University Archives Repository

Contact:
Mathewson-IGT Knowledge Center
1664 N. Virginia St.
University of Nevada, Reno
Reno NV 89557-0322 USA
775-682-5665
775-682-5724 (Fax)