University of Nevada, Reno, College of Engineering Records

 Collection
Identifier: AC 0113

Scope and Contents

Records primarily cover the 1960s-1970s, and include department meeting minutes, information of the L77 nuclear reactor, buildings and facilities, engineering laboratories, graduate programs, scholarships, professional organizations and activities, news clippings and photographs. There are also records on engineering student activities, including the annual Engineers Day, 1940-1976, and the Alpha Epsilon Chapter of Sigma Tau, the national honor society for engineers, established at Nevada in 1952.

Dates

  • 1949 to 2006

Creator

Restrictions

Collection is open for research. Materials must be used on-site; advance notice suggested. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.

Administrative History

When the University of Nevada was founded in 1874, the state government placed strong emphasis on the importance of mechanical arts and mining. Therefore, the university emphasized instruction in mining engineering and related disciplines. The university register listed a school of engineering for the first time in the 1896-1897 academic year. It was divided into two subcategories: a School of Mines and a School of Engineering, Civil and Mechanical, though it did not have its own dean until 1914. The School of Engineering continued to include mining until 1951, when it separated from the college and became its own entity. In the late 1950s, nuclear engineering was added to the curriculum, but due to financial troubles in the early 1970s, it was absorbed into electrical engineering.

As of 2021, the College of Engineering offers degrees in ten fields: biomedical, chemical, civil, computer science, electrical, engineering education, engineering physics, environmental, and materials science.

Extent

2 Cubic Feet

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The Nevada state constitution in 1864 placed emphasis on the mechanic arts and mining, and instruction was directed toward these disciplines as mining engineering. In 1896-97, the university register listed for the first time a department of engineering with two subdivisions: the School of Mines and School of Engineering (Civil and Mechanical). Records primarily cover the 1960s-1970s, and include department meeting minutes, information of the L77 nuclear reactor, buildings and facilities, engineering laboratories, graduate programs, scholarships, professional organizations and activities, news clippings and photographs. There are also records on engineering student activities, including the annual Engineers Day, 1940-1976, and the Alpha Epsilon Chapter of Sigma Tau, the national honor society for engineers, established at Nevada in 1952.

Arrangement

Arranged in chronological order by subject.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Transferred from Charles Breese; 1982; development records transferred in 2016.

Title
A Guide to the College of Engineering Records
Status
Completed
Author
Betty Glass
Date
August 13, 2008
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the University of Nevada, Reno. University Archives Repository

Contact:
Mathewson-IGT Knowledge Center
1664 N. Virginia St.
University of Nevada, Reno
Reno NV 89557-0322 USA
775-682-5665
775-682-5724 (Fax)