John W. Mackay Statue Rededication Records
Scope and Contents
The John W. Mackay Statue Redidication Records consists of university publications, announcements, newspaper clippings, invitations, correspondence, and photographs of the family and the events in April 1996. It also includes a copy of a biography of Clarence Mackay by Robert M. Hawkins, which was written in 1961 when Hawkins was a student at the University of Nevada.
In addition, there are two videocassettes. The first cassette records the rededication ceremony in front of the Mackay Statue. Among the speakers are University President Joseph Crowley, Associated Students President Daniel Oster, Gwen Mackay, and John Tyson. The second videocassette records an interview with Gwen Mackay, a KOLO television newscast on the rededication, a report by John Tyson on pouring gold bricks at the Newmont Mine, and a blast at the Newmont Mine in Carlin, Nevada.
A collection of photographs of the Mackay Week Celebration. Included are photographs of events, tours, and receptions as well as family members Each photo was numbered and identified by Mati Stephens, Mackay School of Mines.
- Mackay School of Mines (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research. Materials used on-site; advance notice suggested. Access to parts of collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.
The John W. Mackay statue and the Mackay School of Mines building, were originally dedicated on June 10, 1908 in honor of John W. Mackay by his wife and his son, Marie Louise Mackay and Clarence Hungerford Mackay. The statue, sculpted by Gutzon Borglum, was rededicated on April 25, 1996, with descendants of John and Marie Louise Mackay in attendance. An itinerary was planned for the family that included a tour of the Coeur Rochester Mine (Lovelock, Nevada), Newmont Mine (Carlin, Nevada), and a trip to Virginia City, Nevada.
0.41 Linear Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
The John W. Mackay statue and the Mackay School of Mines building, were originally dedicated on June 10, 1908 in honor of John W. Mackay by his wife and his son, Marie Louise Mackay and Clarence Hungerford Mackay. Originally dedicated on June 10, 1908, the John Mackay Statue was rededicated by the Mackay School of Mines on April 25, 1996. The collection contains materials created for the rededication ceremony.
Arranged by subject.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transferred by Mati Stephens in 1996.
Photographs transferred to the University Archives Photo Archives as collection number UNRA-P3578.
- Guide to theJohn W. Mackay Statue Rededication Records
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description