U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission Yucca Mountain Research Collection
Scope and Contents
During its time as a Nuclear Regulatory Commission depository, the University of Nevada, Reno collected thousands of documents related to the potential nuclear waste repository at Yucca Mountain, Nevada. The collection includes U.S. Government issued reports and contractor work related to the proposed site, as well as email communications, letters, research articles, books, educational pamphlets, maps, and other materials related to Yucca Mountain nuclear waste repository activities. Please see associated U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission Yucca Mountain Research Collection LibGuide for more information about this collection, along with links to other related resources.
Collection is open for research. Materials must be used on-site. Access to parts of this collection may be restricted under provisions of state or federal law.
The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) was formed as part of the Energy Reorganization Act of 1974. The NRC is responsible for regulating nuclear fuel cycle and waste management activities; as well as commercial, industrial, medical, and academic uses of nuclear energy.
120 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged by publication with no series hierarchy.
This collection is physically housed in the Libraries MARS storage system. Research-related queries should be directed to the DeLaMare Science and Engineering Library.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
As part of the NRC’s Code of Federal Regulations, Local Public Document Rooms (LPDRs) containing information about NRC activities and research were established near civilian nuclear power reactor sites and nuclear waste sites around the country. The Yucca Mountain Research Collection was acquired by the UNR during its time as a LPDR for the NRC beginning in 1989.
- Caliente (Nev.)
- Death Valley (Calif. and Nev.)
- Geology -- Nevada -- Yucca Mountain
- Idaho National Laboratory Region (Idaho)
- Radioactive waste disposal
- Radioactive waste disposal in the ground -- Nevada -- Yucca Mountain
- Radioactive waste repositories -- Nevada -- Yucca Mountain
- Radioactive waste sites -- Nevada -- Yucca Mountain -- Safety measures
- Radioactive wastes -- Storage
- Radioactive wastes -- Transportation
- Rock mechanics -- Research
- Spent reactor fuels
- Tooele County (Utah)
- Volcanic ash, tuff, etc.
- A Guide to the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission Yucca Mountain Research Collection
- Emily Dunster
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- This collection was housed, described, and cataloged thanks to a generous LSTA (Library Services and Technology Act) grant, funded through the independent federal agency IMLS (Institute of Museum and Library Services). The work on this collection was completed in 2017-2018.