Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
Overview Materials relating to the research and preparation of Berlin's novel Silver Platter, about her grandmother Louise Mackay, the wife of one of the Comstock's Bonanza Kings, John Mackay. Berlin conducted her research from approximately 1947 through the publication of the book in 1957. Includes research notes and correspondence; early drafts and proofs of the novel; originals and copies of 19th and early 20th century newspapers, pamphlets and ephemera, mainly from...
Dates: 1833-1973; Majority of material found within 1948-1957
Abstract The Consolidated Virginia Mining Company (Con Virginia) in Virginia City, Nevada, was once the richest source of ore in the Comstock Lode. Mine operation records including reports, assay reports, ore and bullion statements, mill records, annual reports, bylaws, equipment specification books, legal records, resolutions, and account registers. Also included are records of the adjacent California Mining Company, the Consolidated California and Virginia Mining Company, and the C & C Shaft...
Abstract Collection contains correspondence, manuscripts, personal papers of C. C. Goodwin, mainly spanning the years, 1890-1917 also includes photographs, printed material and some papers of son, James T. (Tod) Goodwin.
Abstract Included are research notes, correspondence, production tables, and clippings either about Smith's Comstock book or used by Smith to write his book.,Subjects researched include John W. Mackay, James G. Fair, business as well as technical aspects of mining in the Comstock Lode, details about individual mines, lists of production figures for the mines, data on the cost of production figures for the mines, data on the cost of living, and information on wood and water companies; typescripts of...
Overview Mackay, Fair and Company was one of the largest silver producing companies in the Comstock Lode, Nevada, owned by John W. Mackay and James G. Fair. Collection contains letterpress copybooks of outgoing correspondence and one volume of quicksilver cash receipts and disbursements, from 1871-1887.
Abstract The Pacific Mill and Mining Company was incorporated in August 1877 with W. S. O’Brien, J. G. Flood, James G. Fair, John Mackay, and Edward Barron as trustees. The company owned a number of other mills in the Comstock area including the Bacon Mill, Brunswick Mill, California Mill, California Pan Mill, Consolidated Mill, Mariposa Mill, Morgan Mill, Occidental Mill, Omega Mill, Rhode Island Mill, Trench Mill, and the Woodworth Mill/Ditch. Collection contains items from the many subsidiary...