Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
Overview This collection reflects the donor's years of research and teaching in the field of anthropology of the Washo and Great Basin Indians and does not include any of his work on African cultures (1859-1992). Created by Warren L. D'Azevedo who was a graduate student of anthropology.
Overview Included are resumes for James F. Downs and his company, International Bridge, Inc.; obituaries; letters by Downs written in India while on a research expedition to Tibet; unpublished articles and books on anthropological topics, Japanese-U.S. relations, and horses in Japan; articles by Downs' former professor, Dr. Warren L. d'Azevedo; and U.S. Navy training manuals, mostly historic in nature (1859-1999). Downs taught anthropology at the graduate and undergraduate level at a number of major...
Dates: 1859-1999; Majority of material found within 1951-1999
Overview Volume 11 of the Smithsonian's Handbook of North American Indians, focused on Indians of the Great Basin region of the American west, and included cultural, historical, prehistorical, and technological information about the Paiute, Washo, Shoshoni, Ute, and Bannock Indians. Editorial files include correspondence between editors and authors, meeting reports, planning committee materials, general business records, draft chapters, and final essays. Material between 1970-1985.
Overview Warren L. D'Azevedo is a professor of Anthropology at the University of Nevada, Reno. Commemorative album compiled by Nevada friends and colleagues to celebrate the 100th birthday of Swedish linguist and folklorist Sven Liljeblad; the 90th birthday of his wife, Astrid Liljeblad; and their 50th wedding anniversary. Contents include letters, reminiscences, photographs, and a press release (1999).
Overview Contains records created by Warren d'Azevedo related to the organization of the first training sessions for Peace Corps volunteers as teachers in Liberia, including correspondence, manuals, memos, project descriptions, subject curriculum, trainee rosters and directories, trainee newsletters, and general brochures and pamphlets about the Peace Corps. Also included is material about training programs in Sierra Leone.
Scope and Contents Papers relate to the Washoe Tribe, his professional files, and personal life. Preliminary inventory available in the department.
Abstract Research papers related to Washo Indians of Nevada and California, accumulated over 5 decades of field research and scholarship, focusing on social organization, distribution, ethnohistory, arts, religion, and language. Includes information compiled by his graduate students and anthropologists Stanley Barrett, Grace M. Dangberg, J.W. Hudson, S.L. Lee, Susan Lindstrom.
- Washo Indians -- Folklore 2
- Washo Indians -- Languages 2
- Washo Indians -- Politics and government 2
- Albums 1
- Antelope Valley (Calif.) 1
- Anthropologists -- Correspondence 1
- Anthropologists -- Correspondence -- United States 1
- Archaeologists -- Correspondence 1
- Archaeology -- Nevada 1
- Bannock Indians 1
- Burial -- Nevada -- Carson River Valley 1
- Burial -- Tahoe, Lake, Region (Calif. and Nev.) 1
- Cemeteries -- Nevada -- Carson River Valley 1
- Cemeteries -- Tahoe, Lake, Region (Calif. and Nev.) 1
- Education -- Liberia 1
- Horses -- Japan 1
- India -- Description and travel 1
- Indians of North America -- Antiquities -- Nevada 1
- Indians of North America -- Ethnobotany -- Nevada 1
- Indians of North America -- Great Basin 1
- Indians of North America -- Nevada -- Carson River Valley 1
- Indians of North America -- Nevada -- Pine Nut Mountains 1
- Indians of North America -- Tahoe, Lake, Region (Calif. and Nev.) 1
- Japan -- Relations -- United States 1
- Leaflets 1
- Liberia -- Social life and customs 1
- Linguists -- Correspondence 1
- Paiute Indians 1
- Peyotism -- Nevada 1
- Pine Nut Mountains (Nev.) 1
- Shoshoni Indians 1
- Sierra Leone 1
- United States -- Relations -- Japan 1
- Ute Indians 1
- Washo Indians 1
- Washo Indians -- Ethnobotany 1
- Washo Indians -- Fishing 1
- Washo Indians -- Land tenure 1
- Washo Indians -- Land tenure -- History 1
- Washo Indians -- Religion 1
- Washo Indians -- Social life and customs 1
- Washo baskets 1
- Washo language 1 ∧ less