Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 11
Paul S. Adamian was a professor of English who joined the University of Nevada faculty as a lecturer in 1966, became an assistant professor in 1968, and was granted tenure in the 1969/70 school year. The collection includes general correspondence, copies of legal records, ephemera, and newspaper clippings, 1970-1979, and materials regarding his teaching appointment at Southern Oregon College prior to becoming faculty at the University of Nevada, 1965-1966.
The Nevada branch of the American Civil Liberties Union was organized in 1966 although there were individuals in the state who were active in the national organization during the 1920s and 1930s. Included are minutes of the northern Nevada chapter, southern Nevada chapter, and state board meetings; administrative and issues correspondence; bylaws; organizational history; membership statistics; complaints and litigation files; subject files; and newspaper clippings.
Russell G. Benedict was a Nevada civil rights activist. Collection contains paper from 1965 prepared for the Civil Liberties Committee, Western States Democratic Conference which considers the Nevada population by race, the status of blacks in Las Vegas, the Equal Rights Commission, civil rights legislation, human rights conferences, and political morality.
Petition to President Lyndon Johnson and Nevada Senators Alan Bible and Howard Cannon urging the passage of civil rights legislation.
The Equal Rights Committee's function was to examine and recommend improvements to the equal rights laws of Nevada and establish a budget for the Equal Rights Commission of the State of Nevada for the coming biennium. Included are minutes for meetings in January and February, 1969, and the committee's report to the Nevada Council for Civic Order Through Social Justice (1969).
Henry Hardy Hogan was a pioneer Reno, Nevada doctor who arrived in Nevada in 1864. Collection contains album of clippings about Nevada including history of the Reno Civil War veterans, inequality of blacks and whites, a mining story, letter to the state legislature about the location of the Insane Asylum, and poems of and obituary of Hogan and others.
Nevada Commission on Equal Rights of Citizens was a statutory agency of the state of Nevada which mediated complaints of unlawful discrimination and denial or limitation of service by places of public accommodation. These materials, gathered by Commissioner Robert Gorrell, include minutes, reports, complaints, and correspondence. Material between 1965-1966.
This collection consists of the working files by Rusco and Sue Fawn Chung as editors of the Nevada public affairs review (1987, #2) and by contributing authors of articles on ethnic minorities in Nevada. Ethnic groups include Basques, Blacks, Chinese, American Indians, Japanese, Jews, Koreans, Mexican Americans, and Yugoslavs.
These papers, a continuation of collection number 88-28, resulted from an ethnic studies class at UNR in the fall, 1988 semester. Included are reviews of movies, written papers, taped interviews and interview transcripts of the following ethnic or religious groups in Nevada: Afro-Americans, Japanese, Italians, Jews, Portuguese, Thais, Native Americans, Micronesians, and Greeks. For other related materials see collection 88-28 by the same author.
- Subject: Civil rights -- Nevada X
- University of Nevada, Reno. Special Collections Department 9
- University of Nevada, Reno. University Archives 2
- Civil rights -- Nevada 9
- African Americans -- Nevada 3
- Civil rights -- Nevada -- Reno 2
- Japanese -- Nevada 2
- Jews -- Nevada 2
- Minorities -- Nevada 2
- Nevada -- Race relations 2
- Abortion -- Nevada 1
- Academic freedom -- Nevada -- Reno 1
- Affirmative action programs -- Nevada 1
- African Americans -- Education -- Nevada 1
- Alternatives to imprisonment -- Nevada. 1
- Basque Americans -- Nevada 1
- Chinese -- Nevada 1
- Discrimination -- Nevada 1
- Discrimination in public accommodations -- Nevada 1
- Equal rights amendments -- Nevada 1
- Gay rights -- Nevada 1
- Greeks -- Nevada 1
- Indians of North America -- Education -- Nevada 1
- Italians -- Nevada 1
- Koreans -- Nevada 1
- Mexican Americans -- Nevada 1
- Micronesians 1
- Minorities -- Nevada -- Reno 1
- Poetry -- Nevada 1
- Portuguese -- Nevada 1
- Prisons -- Nevada 1
- Race discrimination -- Nevada 1
- Race relations 1
- Student movements -- Nevada -- Reno 1
- Thais -- Nevada 1
- Universities and colleges -- Nevada -- Faculty 1 ∧ less
- Adamian, Paul S., 1930- 2
- Rusco, Elmer R. 2
- American Civil Liberties Union of Nevada 1
- Benedict, Russell G. 1
- Chung, Sue Fawn 1
- D'Azevedo, Warren L. 1
- Forbes, Jack D 1
- Grand Army of the Republic 1
- Hogan, Henry Hardy 1
- Jackson, Jesse, 1941- 1
- March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom (1963 : Washington, D.C.) 1
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People 1
- Nevada Commission on Equal Rights of Citizens 1
- Nevada Council for Civil Order Through Social Justice. Equal Rights Committee 1
- Nevada Mental Health Institute 1
- Peace, jobs and freedom rally (Washington, D.C.: 1983) 1
- Springer, Charles (Resident of Nev.) 1
- Springer, Charles E. 1
- University of Nevada System 1
- University of Nevada, Reno 1
- University of Nevada, Reno. Human Relations Action Council 1
- Woodard, Bertha, 1916- 1
- Woodard, Ulysses 1 ∧ less