Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Diary of an Unknown Scout
Copy of a diary kept by an anonymous author on a journey from St. Joseph to Cedarville, California by way of the Humboldt and Carson Rivers in Nevada. Also included are letters, 1938-1966 from Ralph L. Phelps and Dale L. Morgan regarding the provenance of the diary and geographical details, and a typescript by Phelps.
Dates: 1854; 1938-1966
Diary of Henry Mann
Diary covers Mann's journey from Wyoming to California via the Humboldt and Truckee Rivers, Nevada. The collection contains material from June 21-September 18, 1849 created by Henry R. Mann.
Dates: June 21-September 18, 1849
James M. Walden Correspondence
Abstract James M. Walden writes his wife (not named) on April 19, 1850, from St. Joseph, Missouri, describing the wait for spring grasses to grow and telling her about their acquaintances who are also waiting to travel. The second letter, sent Sept. 7 to Dr. A.G. Taylor of Carroll County, Missouri, from Weaverville, California, advises the doctor not to make the journey and describes the hardships on the Humboldt River Trail in Nevada, trail deaths, and mining and living conditions in Weaverville....
- Humboldt River (Nev.) 2
- Overland journeys to the Pacific 2
- Carson River (Nev.) 1
- Humboldt River (Nev.) -- Description and travel 1
- Nevada -- Description and travel 1
- Overland journeys to the Pacific -- Personal narratives 1
- Pioneers -- California -- Correspondence 1
- Saint Joseph (Mo.) -- Description and travel 1
- Truckee River (Calif. and Nev.) 1
- Weaverville (Calif.) -- Description and travel 1 ∧ less
- Mann, Henry R. 1
- Morgan, Dale L. (Dale Lowell), 1914-1971 1
- Phelps, Ralph L. 1
- Taylor, A. G. 1
- Walden, James M. 1