Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 11
Abstract Reno, Nevada newspaper articles, advertisement, and theater playbill about black residents and the civil rights movement in Reno.
Abstract Russell G. Benedict was a Nevada civil rights activist. Collection contains paper from 1965 prepared for the Civil Liberties Committee, Western States Democratic Conference which considers the Nevada population by race, the status of blacks in Las Vegas, the Equal Rights Commission, civil rights legislation, human rights conferences, and political morality.
Overview Cordell Jones was an African American boxer in Nevada in the 1950s. Collection contians one scrapbook of photographs and newspaper clippings docementing Jones, boxing in Nevada in the mid-20th century, and African Americans in Nevada.
Abstrac The collection contains administrative records such as minutes, financial documents, and membership rolls for The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) Reno-Sparks Branch and The Society to Underwrite Racial Equality (SURE). In addition the series documents the status of racial discrimination in the Reno-Sparks area through the varied surveys and reports and materials from the national NAACP organization (1951-1965).
Identifier: AC 0498
Abstract The School of Education became the College of Education in 1953. The records consist of one curricular unit to supplement textbooks for social studies in the intermediate grades, prepared by Ruth B. Dewey for a summer workshop held at the University of Nevada.
Overview Our Story, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization founded in 1996 by Kenneth B. Dalton. It strives to seek out, preserve, and exhibit the heritage, culture, contributions, and accomplishments of people whose history is not well represented in northern Nevada, with a large focus on documenting African American history. Collection contains material from the organization's 20th Anniversary celebration and other annual programs.
Abstract Graph and charts compiled from U.S. census data on the populations of Blacks, Native Americans and caucasians in Nevada. The collection contains material from August 1965 created by Hazel Gaudet Erskine.
Dates: August 1965
Overview This collection consists of the working files by Rusco and Sue Fawn Chung as editors of the Nevada public affairs review (1987, #2) and by contributing authors of articles on ethnic minorities in Nevada. Ethnic groups include Basques, Blacks, Chinese, American Indians, Japanese, Jews, Koreans, Mexican Americans, and Yugoslavs.
Abstract These papers, a continuation of collection number 88-28, resulted from an ethnic studies class at UNR in the fall, 1988 semester. Included are reviews of movies, written papers, taped interviews and interview transcripts of the following ethnic or religious groups in Nevada: Afro-Americans, Japanese, Italians, Jews, Portuguese, Thais, Native Americans, Micronesians, and Greeks. For other related materials see collection 88-28 by the same author.
Abstract Alice L. Smith was a Reno, Nevada black woman and activist. Collection includes biographical information; personal correspondence; working papers for Smith's community service involvement with the American National Red Cross, Western Community Action Training, Inc., Community Service Council, and Nevada State Comprehensive Health Planning Advisory Council, and information about the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, Nevada (NAACP). Of special interest is a scrapbook,...
- Subject: African Americans -- Nevada X
- University of Nevada, Reno. Special Collections Department 10
- University of Nevada, Reno. University Archives 1
- Benedict, Russell G. 2
- Rusco, Elmer R. 2
- American National Red Cross. Reno Chapter 1
- Bailey, William 1
- Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church (Reno, Nev.) 1
- Caroliniana 1
- Chung, Sue Fawn 1
- Colley, Nathaniel Sextus 1
- Cordell, Jones 1
- Del Cohen, Shayne 1
- Dewey, Ruth B. 1
- Erskine, Hazel Gaudet 1
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People 1
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. Reno-Sparks Branch 1
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. Reno-Sparks Chapter 1
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. West Coast Region 1
- Nevada. State Comprehensive Health Planning 1
- Operation Independence 1
- Primadonna Club 1
- Rucker, Mary 1
- Smith, Alfred O. 1
- Smith, Alice L. 1
- Society to Underwrite Racial Equality 1
- Sparks United Methodist Church 1
- United States Commission on Civil Rights. Nevada Advisory Committee 1
- University of Nevada. School of Education. Nevada Curriculum Development Program 1
- Washoe County Council of Church Women 1
- Western Community Action Training, Inc. (Reno, Nev.) 1 ∧ less