Showing Collections: 1 - 9 of 9
Identifier: AC 0578
Abstract On October 27, 1916, a group of ten male students sent a letter to the University President expressing their wish to establish a secret organization for upper-classmen to be known as Coffin and Keys, with membership limited to 15 students. They envisioned the organization's role to be beneficial for the University, by personal example and advisement to improve student life and activities, to act as a medium between faculty and students, and to help the reputation of the University by raising...
Identifier: AC 0482
Abstract THE FIVE is a secret organization of women student leaders at the University of Nevada, Reno. The group was organized during the 2008-09 academic year. Its first newsletter appeared around campus in May 2009. The collection consists of issues of "THE FIVE" newsletter, from Volume 1, Issue 1 (2009) - Volume 5, Issue 5 (2014).
Abstract Includes a deed for unspecified property conveyed from Lawrence Silver to John Hymers and John Robinson; tax receipt; business and fraternal order cards, and a call to a ceremonial session of the Shriners which includes a comic stock certificate in the Beautiful Dream Mining Company.
Identifier: AC 0550
Abstract On June 15, 2005, a group of undergraduate University of Nevada, Reno students met and formed a secret society called The Order of the Sceptre. It is an honor society for exceptional men and women students, seeking a diverse membership representing many different perspectives. Its primary purpose is to serve the interests of undergraduate students at the university. The Order of the Sceptre Records consist of letters to a prospective initiate, the November 2009 "Apathy Is Dead" newsletter, a...
Abstract Includes correspondence and membership certificates from Cecil W. Creel of the Scottish Rite Temple of Reno; deeds for Paterson's property at Reno and Zephyr Cove, Nevada; an affidavit of the date of Paterson's birth; and school yearbooks from Verdi Elementary School, Nevada, where wife Verna Stumpf Paterson taught.
Overview Verna Stumpf Paterson (1897-1994) was one of the founding members of the Nevada chapter of the Daughters of the American Colonists (DAC), a member of the Order of the Eastern Star in the 1930s, the Twentieth Century Club, the American Association of University Women; and the Daughters of the American Revolution. The collection, dating from 1865-1967, principally contains Nevada genealogical records compiled from western Nevada cemeteries, Bibles, family histories of Reno residents, and...
Abstract Minutes and charter provide details of the chapter's initial organization, activities, and membership. The collection contains material from 1967-1969 created by Phi Sigma Alpha, Nevada Gamma Chapter.
Abstract Includes Robinson's membership certificate for the Kerak Temple of the Schriners of Reno, 1914 and certificate from the Shriners Hospitals for Crippled Children, San Francisco, in memory of Robinson.
Overview Maude Sawin Taylor (1889-1974) was a teacher, organizer, civic leader, and author. The collection includes correspondence to and from Taylor, her husband Chester C. Taylor, Ruth Torkelson, and James Edward Church; newspaper clippings, photographs, awards, and notes; and correspondence, financial records and newsletters of some twenty civic organizations and the First Baptist Church of Reno, Nevada.
- Subject: Secret societies -- Nevada -- Reno X
- University of Nevada, Reno. Special Collections Department 6
- University of Nevada, Reno. University Archives 3
- Paterson, Verna Stumpf 2
- Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine for North America. Kerak Temple (Reno, Nev.) 1
- Church, James Edward, Jr., 1869-1959 1
- Coffin and Keys (University of Nevada, Reno) 1
- Creel, Cecil Willis 1
- Daughters of the American Colonists (Nev.) 1
- First Baptist Church of Reno (Nev.) 1
- Garden Gate Club (Reno, Nev.) 1
- Hulse, James W. 1
- Hymers, Thomas Kerr 1
- Minerva Club (Reno, Nev.) 1
- Nelson, Alfred 1
- Nelson, Augusta L. Johnson 1
- Nevada Art Gallery (Reno, Nev.) 1
- Nevada Cancer Welfare, Incorporated (Reno) 1
- Nevada Federation of Women's Clubs (Reno) 1
- Order of Eastern Star (Reno, Nev.) 1
- Order of the Sceptre 1
- Paterson, Chester Arthur 1
- Phi Sigma Alpha. Nevada Gamma Chapter 1
- Reno Council of Church Women 1
- Robinson, John LaRue 1
- St. John's Episcopal Church (Gold Hill, Nev.) 1
- St. Paul's Episcopal Church (Virginia City, Nev.) 1
- Taylor, Chester C. 1
- Taylor, Maude Sawin 1
- Torkelson, Ruth 1
- Trinity Episcopal Church (Reno, Nev.) 1
- Twentieth Century Club (Reno, Nev.) 1
- University of Nevada, Reno 1
- University of Nevada, Reno. THE FIVE 1
- Verdi Elementary School (Nev.) 1
- Women's Forum of Washoe County (Nev.) 1
- Young Women's Christian Association of Reno, Nevada 1 ∧ less