Silver mines and mining -- Nevada
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 38 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract Silver Hill Mining Company was a silver mine adjacent to the Comstock Lode at Virginia City, Nevada. Collection contains letterpress copybooks of outgoing correspondence and statements and letter from the company's head office in San Francisco, California, to superintendent A.C. Hamilton regarding a decision by the California Supreme Court, December 30, 1891, making mining company directors liable for a willful failure to have regular superintendent's reports made.
Abstract Report by W. Oakley Ruggles on the prospects for recovering silver; report was written for the purpose of raising operating funds. The collection contains material from 1865 created by the Star Silver Mining Company.
Abstract Whitman Symmes was a mine engineer, superintendent of several of the larger Nevada Comstock Lode mines in the early 1900s, and known on the Pacific coast for his continuous opposition to stockbrokers' methods of controlling the Comstock mines. Included are deeds, agreements, financial statements, reports, correspondence, payrolls, articles of incorporation, and assay reports for 118 mines, mills, shafts and pumping associations, primarily in Nevada but also in California, Utah, Arizona, and...
Abstract Tonopah Mining Company was a gold and silver mining company in Tonopah, Nevada. Includes monthly reports, receipts, financial claims, time checks, insurance policies, and drawing of an idler bearing for a conveyor belt between 1906-1915.
Overview The Union Mine was Part of the North End Mines of the Comstock Lode, the Union was an 1859 stake of 302 feet between the Mexican and Sierra Nevada Mines. Later, 270 additional feet were acquired from the North Ophir claim. Work began in 1860; although the Union had one of the deepest works (at 3350 feet), it was one of the least profitable of the Comstock; by the late 1870s it was producing no ore. Collection contains operational records, including weekly and annual reports of operations (some...
Abstract Collection contains copies of weekly progress reports for each of these individual mines: Challenge, Challenge-Jacket-Imperial, Confidence, Crown Point, Imperial Consolidated, Imperial Empire, Jacket-Crown Point-Belcher, Overman, and Yellow Jacket, Reports discuss length of tunnels, yields of ore, presence of various types of rock and water, and drain projects from 1865-1923.
Overview The Comstock Pumping Association was established in 1898 by 28 mine companies in Virginia City. Designed as a means to increase stock values, the purpose of the association was to pump water from the Comstock mines below the Sutro Tunnel level. Records of operation include daily and weekly reports (including Ward Shaft Association, 1910-1912), letters, cashbooks, financial ledgers, and a tunnel account book, 1905-1909.
Abstract The Yellow Jacket Mine, staked in 1859, was one of the deepest in the Comstock Lode. Operation records of the Yellow Jacket Mine include minutes of stockholders' and directors' meetings, by-laws, deeds, financial statements, stock transfer records, and letters, from 1861-1911.