Gambling -- Nevada -- History -- 20th century
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
John Ascuaga's Nugget Records
Abstract John Ascuaga's Nugget (originally called Dick Graves' Nugget), located in Sparks, Nevada, opened March 1955, starting as a small coffee shop with a handful of slot machines. John Ascuaga became the sole owner and operator of the Nugget until its sale (1960-2013). Over the next five decades, the Nugget experienced unprecedented growth and expansion into a 1,600-room casino-resort with more than 75,000 square feet of casino and convention space. Known for its hospitality, dining options,...
Dates: 1917-2014; Majority of material found within 1960-1990
Palace Club Records
Abstract The Palace Club was one of the first clubs to offer gaming after the State of Nevada legalized it in 1931. Giovanni (John) Petricciani purchased the Club in 1927; the family owned the Club until 1979 when they sold it to Harrah's Casino. Collection contains administrative, financial, and gaming materials related to the running of the Palace Club. Also included are materials from the Golden Hotel Resort, also owned by the Petricciani family, and a small number of financial records from St....
Dates: 1920-1984; Majority of material found within 1934-1945