Women -- Societies and clubs -- Nevada -- Reno
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 12 Collections and/or Records:
Identifier: AC 0197
Abstract The Associated Women Students (AWS) began in 1917 as the Woman's League, which was reorganized in 1921 and renamed. It was the official representative body for women students, and acted as the policy maker for them: instructing freshman women about university traditions, set dorm hours and punishments for infractions, established the Women's Night of Honor, the AWS Rose Garden, the child care facility, and sponsored fashion shows, scholarships, and lectures. The records consist of...
Identifier: AC 0392
Abstract Cap and Scroll, the University of Nevada, Reno's Women's Honor Society, began in 1922. The purpose of the quasi-secret organization is to recognize a student's college spirit as demonstrated through activities and scholarship. Membership is limited to senior women with high grade point averages who are leaders in campus activities. The 1924 Artemisia listed the organization as "Athenades". Cap and Scroll, the Women's Honor Society, began in 1923. The purpose of the organization is to recognize...
Overview The Lions Clubs Auxiliary was organized in Reno, Nevada, in May 1957. The purpose of the Auxiliary was to better acquaint wives of Lions Clubs members with the work of the Club, to assist with community and civic projects, and to promote the conservation of eyesight. Included are minutes; bylaws; financial reports; budgets; newsletters (The Kittens Purr); correspondence; scrapbooks of clippings and photos; membership directories; clippings; and organizational materials of their fund raiser, the...
Abstract The Monday Club is the oldest women's club in Nevada, starting in 1911 in Reno, limited to 24 members. Its purpose is for the betterment of its members, exposing them to information on a wide array of program topics. The club meets every other week for an informative program presented both by its members as well as by outside speakers. The Monday Club Records consists of the club's meeting minutes, bylaws, membership information, programs, and financial records. Included is a scrapbook of...
Abstract Perennial Gardners was a Reno, Nevada women's organization that studied plant life. Included are minutes, constitution and bylaws, correspondence, membership rolls, presidential gavels, and financial receipts.,Also included are some minutes of the related organization, Garden Clubs of Reno and Sparks (1950-1995).
Identifier: AC 0367
Abstract Edme Peterson attended the university during the 1926/27 school year, and pledged the Alpha Gamma Chapter, Gamma Phi Delta sorority. The scrapbook documents the year and the various social activities sponsored by the sorority, as well as other student social events. Next to many of the items in the scrapbook are written comments. Scrapbook contains ephemera and realia of university and sorority activities, including homecoming, dances, and banquets; dance programs and favors; and newspaper...
Abstract Victoria Ford is a Reno, Nevada, oral historian, and public relations specialist. Collection includes a manuscript of Making Their Mark, a history of the Reno/Sparks Young Women's Christian Association. Also included are oral history narratives of the following women who played key roles in the Y's development and administration: Mary Margaret Barrett, Patricia Herz Cooke, Shirley Fleming, Alleta Gray, Marcella Herz, Tosca Means, Mildred Myers, Cynthia Pyzel, Darlene Reed, Jeanne Shipley, and...
Overview YWCA Nevada is an affiliate of YWCA USA, and the first officially established YWCA in Las Vegas since November 2014. YWCA’s impact spans more than 160 years and serves more than 25 million women and girls. Reno-Sparks YWCA Records include minutes, yearly and special reports, correspondence, strategic plans and policies, organizational histories, program documentation, scrapbooks, clippings, and photographs.Researchers are fortunate to have available numerous sets of minutes of...
Identifier: AC 0413
Abstract The Faculty Wives Club began about 1910, and was limited to faculty wives. The purpose of The Faculty Wives Club was to raise funds to support campus activities, student scholarships and the libraries. The collection consist of correspondence, membership lists, scholarship committee records, programs, treasurer's reports, and includes copies of the club newsletter, La Pluma (1961-1999).
Identifier: AC 0368
Abstract The Wolfpack Women's BoostHER Club was founded December 1983, to provide greater recognition and encouragement for women's sports programs, and to supplement funding. In April 1993, BoostHERS was changed to Club Wolf Pack. The records in this collection primarily cover 1984-1987, and include minutes and newsletters, names of program supporters, some correspondence, and forms such as stationary and membership cards.